WD My Live Book: Set maximum share size(s)

I think that almost everyone would like to be able to set the maximum size for each share, here are a few examples…

1. Parents want unlimited share size(s), but for each of their kids they wish to limit the share size for each of them so that it doesn’t get spammed with stuff that doesn’t need to be there. I know a few parents would be very happy if their children’s homework etc was stored on the HD rather than just their computer as a back up.

2. Freaks like me will want to set specific share sizes just to allow us to keep things organized and up together.

3. A lot of people have Macs and currently the timemachine will use up the entire drive, it is one heck of a hogger. Since Apple have yet to fix this, and may never do…this may be great for users so they can set a limit on their timemachine share.

I can think of loads of reasons why this would be a great feature, and to be honest it is the only feature (or rather lack of)  which is preventing me from buying myself one; though I know a lot of people who already own one or more of these, and therefore I am very interested in at least one for myself.

PS: It may be an idea to also allow some shared “No Limit”, thus can use whatever free/usable space is remaining, but those with limits can only use up to the limit(s) set.

PPS: Might also be worth concidering whether or not to have share limits per user as well as per share. This could be a max limit for a user regardless of which shared they are using, or it could be a max limit for them within a specific share.

I think at the end of the day, I could be happy to create a share for each person and set a limit on those shares, leaving mine with ‘No Limit’.

Many thanks,

Shane

8 Likes