Wd my cloud

What specific error message are you receiving when attempting to access the local network My Cloud with your computer’s Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder?

If one wants to regain remote access to their OS3 My Cloud they have a few options. None of them will be a 100% replacement for the WD supported OS3 remote access options. One can use FTP for remote access. FTP is however not secure method of remote access. One would enable FTP in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network section then enable port forwarding of the FTP port in their router/gateway to forward FTP to the My Cloud. Or one can setup a VPN server on their network and use VPN to securely access their local network (and their My Cloud) from a remote location.

There are past discussions on trying to install alternate firmware to the My Cloud. one will still face similar issues (limited methods of remote access) with that alternative firmware/operating systems when it comes to remote access. There is much discussion on alternate firmware on a single bay My Cloud in the following discussion thread:

https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714/

Ultimately if one wants a simplistic method of remote access similar to what they had prior to WD terminating OS3 support then one may want to consider buying a newer network attached storage device that still has working remote access. Or one can spend the time trying to get VPN working to access their current My Cloud device. Or one can build their own network attached storage device, one that includes secure remote access options. There are various DIY guides one can search for on the internet for building their own network attached storage server.

#WDUserRewards