WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links

WD has released what are likely the final OS3 firmware updates for the single bay My Cloud units running v4.x and v2.x firmware. WD indicates these OS3 firmware updates will disable the Cloud Access/Remote Access setting in the My Cloud Dashboard. OP post has been updated to reflect newer information including firmware files and a newer v2.x GPL source code file.

Firmware Release 04.05.00-353 (11/17/2021)
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/sq-040500-353-20211104.deb

What’s new!

• Added the following pop-up notification message to inform users about end of support for prior generations of My Cloud OS. Here is the entire message:

On April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3, will end. Your device isn’t compatible with critical security updates that are only available for My Cloud OS 5-compatible devices. As a result, you’ll only be able to access it locally. After April 15, 2022, your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support. To help protect your content, we recommend that you back up your device, disconnect it from the internet, and protect it with a strong, unique password. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

Firmware Release 2.41.121 (11/17/2021)
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_GLCR_2.41.121.bin

What’s new!

• Added the following pop-up notification message to inform users about end of support for prior generations of My Cloud OS. Here is the entire message:

On April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3, will end. Your device isn’t compatible with critical security updates that are only available for My Cloud OS 5-compatible devices. As a result, you’ll only be able to access it locally. After April 15, 2022, your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support. To help protect your content, we recommend that you back up your device, disconnect it from the internet, and protect it with a strong, unique password. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

I have My cloud first GEN, and I updated it to this version : v04.05.00-353

I will be able to update to OS5?

No. The first gen single bay My Cloud (v4.x firmware) cannot be updated to run OS5 firmware, nor can it be updated to run the v2.x firmware that is a general requirement for OS5 supported models when updating to OS5 firmware.

Yes. The stupid numbering scheme was pants on head stupid. On the single bay My Cloud WD decided to go from v3.x (initial production versions) to v4.x then to v2.x for the second gen single bay My Clouds. To this day its caused nothing but confusion with people asking if they can update from v2.x to v4.x or from v4.x to v2.x. Really was just a seriously stupid decision on someone’s part that has confused WD customers to no end. (shakes head)

does anyone have a downloaded copy of the 2.10 firmware for second gen?

See first post in this thread, or go to the WD support site - its there.

Why do you want such an old firmware version?

Only the most recent versions are still posted.

I would use the second to last version. Quality control in the final version probably should be questioned.

Darn it, they took those down quick!

Yes. . . I have a few versions of FW stored safely away in my doomsday folder.

(along with installation files for a few other key programs - - - sometimes it is a good to have personal copies of this stuff; as stuff on the web has tendency to disappear over time)

Me too, but only those needed to do a de-bricking with an older firmware version!

Op post updated with Firmware 2.42.115 link and release notes.

Note that it appears only the last two (or three) v4.x/v2.x firmware versions are available to download. WD appears to be blocking other earlier versions from being downloaded.

The OP post has been updated to reflect the final OS3 firmware for the first generation single bay My Cloud (P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-00, FW 04.xx.xx). WD has terminate OS3 remote access using MyCloud.com and the My Cloud OS3 mobile app(s). Local network access using the My Cloud OS3 mobile app also appears to have been terminated. This will require users to use third party file manager apps on their mobile devices to access a local network My Cloud. One can still use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to access their local network OS3 My Cloud.

Version: Firmware Release 04.06.00-111 (4/15/2022)
Release Notes:
https://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_My_Cloud_Firmware_Release_Notes_04.06.00-111.pdf

Firmware Version 04.06.00-111 (04/15/2022)
As of April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS has ended. We’ve made the following changes as part of this release:

• Disabled Cloud Access support
  • Disabled Notification Email support
  • Added My Cloud OS 3 End of Support message in the My Cloud dashboard

You will continue to have local access to your stored content. Remote access, security updates, and technical support will no longer be provided. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

Direct download to the firmware:
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/sq-040600-111-20220109.deb

#WDUserRewards

I was using the auto backup feature on the app for my phone photos. Basically the only reason I own the product. This has now been removed even through it is only local on my network?

I found @Bennor’s thread on FolderSync and have it working. I wish I had this years ago to be honest, it is so much better than the WD Cloud app. Not a big computer person really but had to use SMB1 to connect, I could not get SMB2 to work. Maybe I am missing something but if SMB1 is OK to use then it is working.

Yes. The OS3 My Cloud app will no longer work for remote or local access to a OS3 My Cloud. As you discovered with a later post one will have to find and use a 3rd party app for their mobile device that can be used to access their local network My Cloud.

My Cloud OS3 End of Service
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/software/my-cloud-os/os3/os3-eos

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: After the services are shut down, you can only access the device on a local network. Access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app won’t work. Email notifications won’t be delivered. Devices that had auto-update enabled received a final firmware update that disabled remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Now, support has ended and you have to use your local network to access your device.

Is it worth trying to roll back to a previous firmware version?

WD has ended the OS3 MyCloud.com remote access, and OS3 My Cloud app remote/local access support for OS3 My Cloud’s from their end. Rolling back the firmware won’t fix or resolve that. Rolling back firmware also may open one’s device up to security vulnerabilities that were patched in later firmware.

Also, as has been indicated in the OP (initial first) post, WD has blocked download access to almost all of the earlier firmware. Generally one can only access and download the most recent two or three OS3 firmware versions.

1 Like

@bennor could you please comment on a new thread I just wrote. I seem to have lost a drive (crashed) and now have two red lights. Not sure how to proceed, what is the normal procedure for a dead raid drive? I cannot access any data.

Sorry I don’t have much to add other than check the WD Knowledge Base Articles to see if there are any troubleshooting steps you can take and if the RAID can be rebuilt. I haven’t used a EX2 or any of the other multi bay My Cloud devices.

1 Like