WD My Cloud is severely Slowing down the network when plugged in

I plug in the WD My Cloud and immediately my internet slows down.  It affects all devices using the home wifi network (iphones, laptops, etc)  I unplug the ethernet cable from the router and speeds jump back up.  I haven’t bothered running a diagnostic because the speeds are so obviously different, and this problem started the day I plugged the My Cloud in.

Is there a fix for this?  I don’t understand why it would slow everything down.  It should not be autonomously uploading and downloading data over the internet connection, so why is everything else running so slow?

Funny that you mention this. I recently unplugged my 4TB MyCloud from my network and the download speed of my Tivo Romio just doubled.

I never understood why it dropped in the first place. I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I read your post. I need to double check the coincidence… I will plug it in back to verify.

Since the Tivo is another Linux machine, with its own network discovery etc, I am wondering if indeed there could be a link somehow.

Are you using Quickview on the desktop? This is known to create heavy traffic to the NAS.

I rebooted the modem and router which gave me a slight increase in speed. It seems like my cloud is still sucking bandwidth somehow…

Try replacing the network cable between the MyCloud and the router/switch.

When I SSHed in with a previous cable, I saw that the gigabit ethernet inetrface was going up and down all of the time (looking at the “dmesg” output).  Possibly this was  due to erros?  That might disrupt other members of the network.

When iIrepalced the cable with a newer one, it ran much better.

djppls wrote:

I plug in the WD My Cloud and immediately my internet slows down.  It affects all devices using the home wifi network (iphones, laptops, etc)  I unplug the ethernet cable from the router and speeds jump back up.  I haven’t bothered running a diagnostic because the speeds are so obviously different, and this problem started the day I plugged the My Cloud in.

Is there a fix for this?  I don’t understand why it would slow everything down.  It should not be autonomously uploading and downloading data over the internet connection, so why is everything else running so slow?

Check the make/model and configuration of your router.  If it has a QoS feature try enabling it.

I discovered a similar problem on my network.  I recently installed a new Asus RT-N66U router that has a Quality of Service (Qos) feature.  It is disabled by default so I never thought to turn it on and configure it.  The manual described it as an optional feature without much detail on how it works or why it might be needed.  I was seeing my Internet download speeds drop from 50 Mbps to half that or even below 1 Mbps.  After spending many hours and having my ISP and modem ruled out as a cause I focused on the router.  Turns out for this particular make/model of router the QoS feature is more a necessity than an optional feature.  Once I enabled it my intermittent slow internet download speed problem went away.