WD My Cloud hangs with external USB storage

Kiran_Nevaskar, 

I’ve encountered this problem well over a year ago and WD has never updated their firmware to fix this problem. At that time I had already discover a workaround and it really does involve SSH’ing into the device to fix it. DO NOT swap your brand new drive with a refurbish replacement drive as the same problem will occur; go figure if it is the same firmware.

WD called me regarding this problem and had me reboot my device multiple times, soft reset my devices and even made me update the firmware to my USB drive;

Soft resets and firmware updates are not the solution to this problem. The problem is an Operating System process lock that somehow one process is locking out the other; it could be as simple as the scans, or a process that is waiting for another process to complete but the process lock is so complete that both devices drops out of the network shortly after locking.  They have not resolved this problem in any of their firmware as I’ve been watching this same problem over and over on this forum.

I’ll post up a link to my post shortly,  but I’ll give you a summary the short version first.

Workaround without SSH (should work provided that your cloud is not locked in scans).

1.  Boot up the Cloud drive first WITHOUT any USB drive attach. (Always detach the USB when rebooting especially when you do a firmware update).

2. wait for a few minutes for your cloud drive to settle. Now this might be difficult since the scanning process will begin and start thrashing your drive but if you don’t SSH into the drive to kill the scan process, this is the way it is and forever will remain so. 

3. when it is quiet (around 5 minutes) attach the USB drive. It should attach and you should be able to map it without problems.

Always detach the USB if you are rebooting the USB or starting it up. I made the mistake of attaching the two when booting both up at the same time when I moved the two units over to my bookshelf, they ended up locking and disappearing from the network a few minutes later.  

Alright, here is the post that fixes and solves everything back in 2014. 

My Solution to My Cloud is disconnecting from the Network and disappears when connecting USB hdd