WD My Cloud for Windows doesn't want to connect

Ufff this litеду thing start to make me really crazy… Simple things seems to go on the hard ways…

Here is the problem:

WD My Cloud unit is connected to the router. A Notebook with Win XP sees it (same workgroup set). The network disks can be mounted. Files can be copied. So, physically the connection is present.

But!

The WD My Cloud Application for Windows does see the unit, but the attempt to connect to it pressing on the icon just gives a glimpse of connecting image (this guy sitting in front of a house…) for less than a second… and returns back to the main screen.

Please, dont offer to “connect manually” solution, as it requires internet connection, which the unit does not have. That the next problen to be solved.

I wonder how many other surprises this Plug and Pray device will give…

Please, dont offer to “connect manually” solution, as it requires internet connection

You’re saying the Cloud has no internet access?  In that case, I doubt it will work.

At any rate, why would you even want to do this if you have no internet access?

The following information is for the My Cloud Mobile App and can be found in the Learning Center.

Action 5: Perform one-time setup for secure access at home or away

With this procedure, which you only need to do once, you’ll establish a secure connection between your mobile device and your WD My Cloud.
To get secure access to your WD My Cloud:

1. Connect your smartphone or tablet to your home network:
  • On your mobile device, tap Settings.
  • Tap Wi-Fi.
  • Select your home network.
  • Enter the network password and tap Connect.
  1. Launch the app (either WD My Cloud or WD Photos).
  2. Tap Connect Now.
    The app automatically searches for available devices in your network.
  3. Tap the name of your WD My Cloud drive.
  4. Tap the dropdown arrow and then select your user name.
  5. Do one of the following:
  • If you have set up a password, enter it and tap Login.
  • If a password was not set, tap Login.
  1. (Optional) If you want to access any of your content, tap a share name and then navigate to the desired file.

This info below is for the desktop app. Can be found in Learning Center, use link provided above.

1. Ensure that your computer is connected to your home network.

2. Launch the WD My Cloud desktop app.

3. On the Choose Your Device screen, select your WD My Cloud drive.

4. If the Sign In dialog box appears, enter the user name and password (if one was set up) for the device and then click Sign In.

5. Note: The default user name is

admin

with no password set. From now on, you simply launch the desktop app to access your WD My Cloud drive. You can play and view your content, as well as manage files and folders on the drive.

If the above does not work, with the notebook on, try unplugging the power to the router at the router, wait one minute then plug it back in. Give everything time to reset and then try the app.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

You’re saying the Cloud has no internet access?  In that case, I doubt it will work.

Maybe I put it in some unclear way. But the situation is - the unit does work and can be seen as shared disk on the network. Files can be copied (right now I am doing it) etc.

Besides - on one of the home devices - a Galaxy TAB2 - the Adroid WD My Cloud app perfectly works and plays video and music.

All this happens without internet connection to the WD unit (as it says on the Dashboard). The situation with internet connection is a bit complex and requires separate thread to look for solution - as I have an ISDN Modem, a WiFi router (1) connected to it in one subnet, and another WiFi router (2) connected to the previous one, making the other subnet.

All the devices that can see the WD Unit are on the subnet 2.

So, the WD My Cloud applet for Android works

BUT

The WD My Cloud Win XP Program sees the unit, but fails the attempt in connecting it WITHOUT any warnings. Such a silent sabotage, just giving me a flach-like appearance of the “Connecting” screen.

I wouldn’t even say that WD software is somehow user friendly. It seems it either works or not, not giving any clues of what’s the cause. And it bothers…

1. Ensure that your computer is connected to your home network.
  2. Launch the WD My Cloud desktop app.
  3. On the Choose Your Device screen, select your WD My Cloud drive.
  4. If the Sign In dialog box appears, enter the user name and password (if one was set up) for the device and then click Sign In.
  5. Note: The default user name is…

The problem starts at point 4 - no dialog box, just fast return to p.3

If the above does not work, with the notebook on, try unplugging the power to the router at the router, wait one minute then plug it back in. Give everything time to reset and then try the app.

Does not work…

Here is something else to look at and try. First, right click on the My Cloud app then click on Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and see if you have the option to select Windows XP as shown in the image below.

In the image below is what you should be seeing when you open the app. Does it show the bottom image for My Cloud being in your Network?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Well, I am working on a notebook with Windows XP on it.

And yes, it shows WD unit in “Devices Found on your network” section.

If none of these suggestions help in getting it to work you may want to look at the User Manual, http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf , P.17 and see if anything there will help.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)