WD My Cloud App on Kindle

I have a 2 TB wireless Passport.  The android WD My Cloud works on my Note 3 phone, but not on my Kindle Fire HDX tablet.  Can you address this please?

This is not WD Support link.  It is a user forum.  If you want help from WD you need to go to their support link.  Meanwhile, I have a Kindle Fire HD, and the Android app works OK on my Kindle.  I had to “side-load it”.  How did you install it?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply mike.  I d/l the app from the amazon store using the Fire HDX (my main tablet).   The app will start, but never connects.

Reading posts in this forum I found that I can use ES File Explorer (which I have used for a long time) to do everything I need.  I also have a Fire HD, but haven’t tried using it.  I’ll have to check that out.  I’d still like to get the WD app working, but this works for now.

Thanks for helping.

Chuck

While it is nice to have the My Cloud app working for the administration functions, those functions are also available in the MPW web interface.

Combine the web interface with a decent file manager app and you can do all the WD My Cloud app does, and more.

I have been testing the WD My Cloud app and the web interface, plus the iOS FileBrowser app, and I’m probably going to drop using the My Cloud app and just use the other two in the future. Of course I will keep the My Cloud app installed and updated, in case it improves significantly. But I shouldn’t need it.

YMMV

FileBrowser is a nice iOS app, I use it too, but let’s get the guy’s WD My Cloud app working on his Kindle first!  Besides, FileBrowser is ONLY an Apple iOS app – there is not a version for Android/Kindle devices!

OK, Chuck, wish I could have gotten back here sooner, but I got busy.

Anyway, first of all, if you downloaded the Kindle version of My Cloud,it is old; from 2011 – not updated to even include the new WD devices like the MPW.  I don’t even know if Amazon’s  “Android” store has the latest My Cloud.  No matter, you can get it at the 1Mobile Market ; a repository of Android apps that is kept up to date.  If you have ever used the 1Mobile Market, you know that you download the app, and then use ES File Explorer to install it. 

Not so anymore. When you download it from 1MM, it can be installed without ES FE anymore.  So, using the Silk browser, search for 1Mobile Market and go to the site.  If you don’t have the latest 1MM app, download and side-load it using ES FE and then open the app.  Now, in the 1MM app store, search for " wd my cloud ", download it, and then it starts to auto-install.  Once you have it installed you should open WD My Cloud, and hopefully you can find your way around and get going with it.  If not, check back here for more help – my Kindles are working fine with it.

If you have issues getting 1MM installed the way I described, there is another way I can tell you about if necessary.

This should not be so involved if only WD had a Kindle app ready!!  Com’on WD, get the Kindle version out for your Kindle-owning customers!!  What are you waiting for!

mike27oct wrote:

FileBrowser is ONLY an Apple iOS app – there is not a version for Android/Kindle devices!

That is why I said:

RoderickGI wrote:

_ Combine _ the web interface _ with a decent file manager app _ and you can do all the WD My Cloud app does, and more.

But if you can get My Cloud working on his Kindle, great. :smiley: