Wd my cloud 4tb

Hi, today I purchased a WD MYCLOUD 4TB device. When I started to setup my device it said there might be problems connecting to the network.(But I was able to access through local ip). Anyway I passed that step and finished setup. After that a program " WD MY CLOUD" which has a no practical use appeard on my screen. Correct me if I’m wrong but is it just for file transfer between computer and drive, an alternative for network drive folder in windows explorer? 

Then again I tested with some simple 1GB movie files it copied a file in like 5 minutes or so. Meanwhile I have a 2,5" WD Elements connected via USB 3.0 which copied same files under a minute. And another thing is , I can create or delete new users by logging in to interface but with every user I created they all have nearly 4TB of space , as far as I understand the device is not assigning disc space to users it just gave restrictions and access to some folders. At this point I’m really confused and in a place where I’m seriously considering returning the device. Can you help me out with this answer a couple questions for me?

1. What is the use of MY CLOUD Desktp program for windows 8?

2. Why is the drive prossessing files so slow? Is this normal ? Are you experiencing same issues?

3)Can you assign disk space to users, I mean I want to split the disc space to 1TB pieces and assign them to 4 users. Is this possible? And how?

1. Do you suggest that  I return the device while I can?

I hope I was able to explain myself. I’m waiting for your answers. Thanks have a nice day…

the desktop “program” is just a link to the My Cloud console web page, doesn’t hurt but not really needed

slow seems to me normal, at least initially it seems to get better I am finally becoming satisfied with local performance

all users share the same space

what firmware are you on? if you are on V3 I would stay there for now, if you are on V4 you may want to concider a downgrade.

Depending on comfort level there are som services that can be stopped and will help some with performance.

to keep or return is completly up to you. This does have a number of issues but I am not sure if any of the other low end NAS drives are any better

I thought about that the speed may vary according to network performance and services that are in use at the moment but,  I 've used one of them at a friends house and with the exact setup I have he can copy files alot faster than that. And he was using network for bunch of other works at the moment. Thats why I’m concerned about the speed.  It’s on V3 I think if I keep the device I’ll use it as V3 thanks for the tip. If I change it with another product I’ll post it here. Thanks for the reply!

huseyinakgun wrote:

1. What is the use of MY CLOUD Desktp program for windows 8?
  1. Why is the drive prossessing files so slow? Is this normal ? Are you experiencing same issues?

3)Can you assign disk space to users, I mean I want to split the disc space to 1TB pieces and assign them to 4 users. Is this possible? And how?

1. Do you suggest that  I return the device while I can?

I hope I was able to explain myself. I’m waiting for your answers. Thanks have a nice day…

1. The My Cloud Desktop Application is a WD file viewer.  It can be used instead of Windows Explorer but it is not very reponsive and a little quirky.  You can use it to copy files to/from your My Cloud.  One area where it is useful and preferable to Windows Explorer is if you attache an external USB drive to your My Cloud and want to copy/move files between those drives without making a round trip over the network and through your Windows computer.

2. A number of variables could be affecting your file transfer performance.  But, keep in mind that My Cloud has software that scans all new files on your My Cloud as they are copied/moved to the drive.  This significantly impacts write speeds in particular.  I found this unacceptable and disabled the software that does the scanning.  If you intend to use the “Cloud” and Mobile Application features of this product you probably don’t want to disable that software.  Search on this forum for how to do this if you are interested.

3. There are no disk quotas per user.

4. If you are unhappy with file transfer performance and you intend to use the Cloud and Mobile Apps you might think about getting a refund.  If you don’t care about the Cloud and Mobile App features or voiding your warranty you might consider disabling the scanning software that runs on My Cloud.

* If you keep it I would disable automatic firmware updates and if you’re on v3.x you might be better off staying there for the time being.