WD My Cloud 3TB Transfer Speeds (Help)

Okay I have purchased the WD My Cloud 3TB and I have read through the community forums and over people are having the same issue with transfer speeds. So here is my setup and I would like some advice and also what would be ideal equitment to be using to setup the My Cloud.

1. I setup the My Cloud directly into my TP-LINK N900 Gigabit Router. The transfer speed for a 1GB file was 6 minutes, pretty poor. I was using my Macbook Air 2013 Model to transfer the file to the My Cloud. I was using wireless to do this because the Macbook Air doesnt have Gigabit Ethernet Ports.

2. Because the speed was slow I decided to use my TP-LINK AV500 Gigabit Ethernet Powerline kit and plug the My Cloud into the powerline kit. I then tried transfering a file via my Macbook Air 2013 and still the exact same speeds.

3. I have also checked the LED’s at the back of the device and one is flashing green and one is staying solid green.

I would basically like to know is there anything else I can try because I would like to sort this issue out. The Speeds seem to be staying to the exact same transfer speed as if its capt but I would like to inscrease it much furthur. Another question is, I am going to be changing all of my new Network in my house and I was looking for an ideal setup for a Macbook Air 2013, Xbox One, WD Live TV and Tablets and Smartphones. I would like to know if a powerline kit would work well with the My Cloud?

Also is there any settings I need to change in the TP-LINK N900? I have the Virgin Media Superhub set in Router mode and the N900 as the router itself? 

Please help.

Thanks 

Your My Cloud should be connected directly to a gigabit switch (in your case your router). Don’t plug it to the powerline kit. Your issues will probably come from your wireless speed. Best speeds will be observed through mapped drives, not through the WD apps.

Does you Macbook Air has the Wireless AC adapter?

At any rate, try with another computer or with an ethernet to thunderbolt adapter to rule out the wireless speed.

On my unit, with Win8.1 connected through a 702Mbps (mega bits per second) wireless AC link I can see transfer speed in the 40MB/s (mega *bytes* per seconds) rnage to the My Cloud.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-transfer-speed/td-p/658795/page/2

Thanks for the reply.

I will be trying another Laptop and using that directly to the router rather than wireless. I have checked around the forum and people are saying that you need to change AFP to SMB? How is this possible?

Thanks  

RikkiNicholas wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I will be trying another Laptop and using that directly to the router rather than wireless. I have checked around the forum and people are saying that you need to change AFP to SMB? How is this possible?

Thanks  

Follow this guide to connect to samba share (SMB):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884

In the menu check “smb” and uncheck “afp”.

Thanks for all the help. 

I have decided to return the product and get a full refund. I will now be purchasing a Mac Mini and setting that up as a Media Server using Plex. 

Thanks

Your problem is not the MyCLoud transfer speed… is your current LAN setup speed.

Using Gb wired LAN (router, MyCloud and PC) MyCLoud will give you a SUSTAINED 50-70 MB/sec average transfer speed with medium-big size files.

Changing the NAS device model or brand will not speed up your LAN magically, the problem will remains.

I do understand but I think WD need to point this out in the start. 

I do like their product and I think it works well for me but first of all I am going to be setting the whole of my network up and then maybe re purchasing the device and trying it again. If I come across any slow speeds, It will be going straight back! 

Plex on the other hand is a much better solution just abit of a price.

Thanks

Rikki.

I agree man!

The price is different but the Plex Server would be more suited to what I need. 

due to the fact that all the movies can be torrented and stored straight on the Mac Mini rather than going to a NAS drive.