WD My Books 1TB (powers on then off) 4TB (No power) no access to files

Using both a WinXP tower and a Win 10 laptop. 4 TB will not power on either. 1 TB will power on but immediately powers off- then nothing. What can I do? Like the rest of you I have a lot of important documents on these drives. Is there any way to repair them?

1 Like

Hi conniebenham,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

I am having the same issues. I am unable to work with these drives right now. I feel like WD has stranded me. My 3 TB wd drive only connects to my 2017 microsoft surface for a few SECONDS before disconnecting. It’s incredibly annoying and completely useless to me. I have a lot of important video files backed up to to it that I can not access. The drive us updated, there is NO issue with power supply as I’m using the darn cable that came with it from the box.

What is going on? Why doesn’t WD sell working equipment. This is my second completely useless WD external harddrive that does not connect to the computer for more than a minute…

I have done every online trouble shooting thing I can find. There is nothing that works. the drivers are up to date. Do I need some kind of magical cable that should have come with the external drives? I have 4 TB of external hard drives from WD that are totally useless to me now.

I have no idea why I got this email. This person is definitely having a problem with her WD drives as I am but I can’t fix my own issues so I am useless to help her with her problems except to wish her well and hope she can find the answer that has been thus far illusive to me.

Sincerely, C. Benham

Hi Brandon,
I don’t know how you got this but it is the information that I sent to WD support. I just received an email from another WD drive victim. I was also confused as to why it was sent to me. I can’t fix my issues let alone help her. I think WD is farming out its work to those of us who are holding them accountable for their drive issues. Just let them know that you don’t appreciate them sending you their problems as you are a customer not an employee. Maybe you could bill them for having to read my email. LOL
Sincerely, C Benham