WD My Book - Sooo much I don't understand, help wanted!

Hi,

I’ve had this thing for a few days now and I’ve come to the conclusion I’m probably not smart enough to find out how to use it on my own. Before I lose what’s left of my sanity and throw the whole thing away, I’d like to try it again with someone’s help if possible.

BAsically I expected something that would just let me drag and drop files just like a regular hard drive only through wifi. But it’s WAY MORE complicated than that.

At first I couldn’t do anything. So I’ve reset the drive and reinstalled the software and now it lets me copy some files (folders with files in them), only when I open the folders I can’t access the files in them, it’s like they don’t exist. They do exist since when I right click to get info the files weigh about 250gb.

Sometimes I get disconnected and then I can either connect as a guest or as a registered user. A username has been preset for me but no password that I ever enter works, be it admin or the password I entered to create this account here. Resetting the drive did nothing for that.

I have Mac OS10.9

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m going insane after all those days trying to get this thing to do what it is supposed to.

[Mod: Post moved]

When I do the reset should it change the colour of the light? When I do it, I keep getting the same green light (not steady) as though I had done nothing.

Also、what it the password supposed to be after the reset?

Can no one help me?

Or maybe someone can direct me to some place where I can get help? Everything I read says a reset is enough but in my case it’s not. Any idea? Someone? Anyone? Is this forum active?

Wow, what an amazing customer service WD has… You guys really deserve all the bad reviews you routinely get. I lost a small fortune on this [Deleted] and today I had to buy another wifi hard drive. That one works fine thank you very much WD people.

Of course I’ll avoid WD like the plague in the future. That was an expensive lesson to learn but I’ll make sure I’ll spread the word.

Hello,

The WD Community was created for Users -such as yourself- to help one another and to share your experiences and ideas with one another.   if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

What kind of drive do you have? what’s the model number on it?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Since this forum has WD written all over I thought this was run by WD itself.

Honestly after wasting so much time on this thing I have more or less given up. If I ever meet an IT genius who can explain to me how it works I might give it another go until then I’ll be using my new drive that doesn’t require a PhD in IT just to log in and try to sell this one if I can.

Oh and my drive doesn’t have a model number it has a P/N number, a S/N number and a Mac Address but none of these numbers work as passwords.

How anyone could design something so complex and unintuitive is beyond me.

Hi romain1, the P/N is the same as the model number. 

Finding drive model numbers on WD internal, external, and network hard drives

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/248

Hi Jubel04

The model number is WDBACG0010HCH-00.

Somehow I got contacted by someone from WD but he just explained the set up procedure which I’ve already done three times to no avail.

And I can’t do it anymore because now when I try to do it I never get the steady green light that’s a requirement to continue to the second step of the procedure after plugging everything.

It’s no longer urgent for me to be able to use this drive since I had to buy another one anyway but I can’t exchange it so it would still be nice to know I’ve not completely wasted my money.

Ok I can now use the files I have copied on the HD before setting it up again but on the other hand if I copy a new file onto the HD and then try to open it, Finder tells me “The folder can’t be opened because you don’t have permissions to see its contents.”

I’m still just a guest user no matter what I do. Frustrating.

Also using the data I have the permission to use is frightfully slow.

Getting better and better. Now I can’t connect at all, even though the dashboard says everything is fine. The only thing I can see is the “public” folder and all the rest is invisible. The accounts I create through the dashboard are not recognized. I did a firmware update hoping it would fix some of the issues I had, probably created more problems.

And still no reply from the support guy,

Now “connect as” is not an option anymore as it can’t be clicked. Forever stuck on “connecting”

The insanity goes on.

romain1 wrote:

Now “connect as” is not an option anymore as it can’t be clicked. Forever stuck on “connecting”

The insanity goes on.

You have a My Book Live.  It’s not a typical direct access external drive.  it’s a network drive.  And no, it’s not just plug and play.  You do need to do some setup in order to be able to use it.  So, did you try to set up the remote access, like through WD2go.com?  Because, as of right now, we’re experiencing technical issues with the servers, and are waiting for them to be fixed.