WD My Book (New) 4TB, Dell XPS 8700 will NOT boot

FIXED!!! :grinning:

Short version, re-formatted the drive to NTFS and it now works fine.

Long version:

Was called by WD Support. Got my email and had read the forum here.

We discussed what was happening and then went into BIOS and tried every possible combination of boot order, Secure Boot, USB Boot Support, and Legacy settings. None fixed the problem. Also tested while in BIOS of powering up and connecting the My Book and it immediately lock up the PC when this happened.

Next tried USB 2.0 port and the front USB 3.0 port on the PC, still had a problem.

Last we decided to boot to Windows, insert the My Book and then bring up Disk Manager and right click on the drive. Decided to go with DELETE PARTITION and FORMAT to the default settings for NTFS. Bingo, on reboot the problem went away. Reset the BIOS to the settings I had before and it still worked.

Problem solved.

Suspect Dell’s BIOS is the problem here, not the drive. After we got off the phone I remembered that Dell has an F12 BOOT menu. I suspect no matter what, when the PC starts up, it reads ALL devices to see if they can be on the boot menu. Since the native BIOS probably can’t read that device it hangs. BIOS was last updated on the 2 1/2 year old PC was July of 2015 which I have. I wouldn’t expect Dell to take care of this problem.