Wd my book live using lots of internet data

Hi I have a WD MyBook Live connected to the wifi router and my PC in a separate room just using wi-fi and an ipad connected to the wifi too.
I have backed up data (3.28Gb) from my PC to the MBL and photos (<3Gb) from the ipad.
For the PC i just have mapped the MBL as drive z: and copy-pasted the folder and for the Ipad I have used the My Cloud App that is set to use transfer files only when in WIFI.

Somehow my internet consumption over the night that I did the transfer was a staggering 278Gb !! anybody can shed any light on how that happened !!! is it not supposed to use local wifi to transfer file between devices?

a couple of strange things

1. the data on the original folder when looking at the properties shows “Size on Disk” 3.28Gb , the same folder properties on the MBL disk shows 6.63Gb for the same number of files.
  2. When I pasted the folder, despite being 3.28Gb, in the transfer window was shown like >50Gb and an estimated 19 Hrs to tranfer. I let it run over night and found it was all copied in much faster time the next morning.

Thanks in advance for anybody with an idea of how to solve the problem !

Martino

Hi marthomas,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.