WD My Book Live - Date limlited to 2020-12-31

The date on my “My Book Live 3TB” won’t go past year 2020. WD support replies " We regret to inform you, support for My Book Live (WMC1T0760904) has ended and is no longer available per WD Product Software Support Status", which is not the kind of support you would expect from WD at all.

Does anyone know how to modify the date after 2020? NTP service sets to 2021-03-12 when selected.

I have mine set to use NTP for the time/date and have never come across an issue using this method. Matter of fact I didn’t know, until now, you could not set the date manually beyond 2020. I don’t think you need to worry as long as NTP handles it.

NTP should handle it, but when activated, it sets to 2021/03/12, not later. and then it starts counting. I activated NTP 4 days ago, so right now the click shows 2020/03/16, which is 11 days behind. No way to get it corrected.

Well mine works fine…wonder if it has something to do with the NTP server you use.

Here’s a screen cap of my settings…hope it helps.
NTP

Consider yourself lucky and do not change the settings. I even tried to add an additionnal NTP server with no luck.

It’s planned obsolescence, WD needs to update the firmware, it’s so easy.

In the meantime, here’s what I found, it works with My Book Live 2 Tb.

Open the My Book Live user interface and enable SSH.

For me it is: http://192.168.0.198/UI/ssh

Take an SSH client like PuTTY.

Connect to My Book Live with PuTTY (Login: root Password: welc0me (default))

Run this command:
date --set = “JUL 18, 2021 09:30:00”

Date and time updated. Verify by creating a file on My Book Live.

Disable SSH.

1 Like

Many Thanks!
It really worked for me!

WD just too lazy to write a scrip to perform the year selections. It has been hard coded for 11 years (2010-2020) in the setting configuration.

Since you already be able to ssh in as the root, how about just change the scrip to enable more years?

Try editing the file “date_time.ctp” in
“/var/www/UI/app/views/themed/default/elements/settings/system”
(make a backup copy of the file first, just in case…)

Looking for the string “2020” and add more line per year of years after. I think this will solve (extend) the limit of the years for both the manual setting and internet time. (Of course, the internet access is not recommented due to the attack :{… ). I add 10 more years for my My Book Live. That likely be enough for its usefulness service live.