WD My Book Essential USB 3.0

Hi guys,

I managed to buy an WD MY book essential USB 3.0 HDD case(WDBACW0030HBK-01)  with the PCB from ebay ( PCB 4060-705089-001 Rev.P1) . As i have few internal drive lying around, i thought i could connect the drives to the PCB and access it over USB 3.0 - as an external drive.

I also have an WD My Book USB 2.0 500 GB Case lying around from my previous adventures ( wd5000c032-002)

Now. when i connect any drive with the USB 3.0 pcb, it takes some time for the drive to be recogizned, but it will not show any existing partions or data on the drive.

Whereas the same drive on WD My Book USB 2.0 (wd5000c032-002) shows up perfectly with all the exisiting partions intact and data intact too.

So what is happening here, What wrong am i doing here ?

chetan_shah,

The WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 enclosure was designed to operate with specific Western Digital hard drives produced for the enclosure, and is not officially available for consumers. Unfortunately, the enclosure could be incompatible with your disk drives.

chetan_shah wrote:

Hi guys,

I managed to buy an WD MY book essential USB 3.0 HDD case(WDBACW0030HBK-01)  with the PCB from ebay ( PCB 4060-705089-001 Rev.P1) . As i have few internal drive lying around, i thought i could connect the drives to the PCB and access it over USB 3.0 - as an external drive.

I also have an WD My Book USB 2.0 500 GB Case lying around from my previous adventures ( wd5000c032-002)

Now. when i connect any drive with the USB 3.0 pcb, it takes some time for the drive to be recogizned, but it will not show any existing partions or data on the drive.

Whereas the same drive on WD My Book USB 2.0 (wd5000c032-002) shows up perfectly with all the exisiting partions intact and data intact too.

So what is happening here, What wrong am i doing here ?

You got scammed dude. Those controllers are encrypted and only work with the original drive that came with it.

Ah not scammed. The seller did not say or claim it would work the way I wanted it or thought it , I bought it assuiming i could pop in an internal drive and make it work as an external USB 3.0 drive.

So I take it there is no way. Any drive could work on this ? Even if it was connected to the PCB and formatted  / intialized as a new drive ?

You can buy the hard disk here at low price in India.

:smiley::mansad:You can also Buy them here in the United States…

Any Drive bought from an Unfamiliar Source is asking for trouble…

the price diff between drive purchased in US and India is vast. for 2 drives i buy in India. I can buy 3 in the USA.

I managed to get an BARE DRIVE WD 3TB which was inside an WDBACW0030HBK-NESN 3 TB My Book Essential. Now will this drive work if inserted on the wd casing which i have ?

The bare drive that i have has been formatted.

I don’t understand why you don’t buy a generic USB case for the internal drives you have, instead of trying to fit it into a vendor-specific case. These generic USB cases are dirt cheap these days. Or use a good dock. I have close to a dozen internal drives that I have been using with my two Thermaltake docks…older one is dual interface offering eSATA and USB 2 and the newer dock is USB 3. Both have dual slots. I use my drives in them like breads in a toaster :slight_smile:

I don’t know if your 3TB WD drive will or won’t work with the case. But I would recommend one thing if you were to try putting that drive in the case. Using a tool like gparted available on PartedMagic, wipe any existing partition and partition table. Then create a new gpt partition table (if using with Windows Vista or later) and then creating a new unformatted partition. Then try putting the drive in that other case. I’m not sure if it will work but it might.

I have burn my fingers (s) ( drives) using generic cases, hence i avoid that.

I will try as you have suggested and see how it goes.

Try using a dock. I can vouch for Thermaltake docks…been using them for five years now.