WD My book Essential failure

I have a WD, My Book Essential that i have been using for ~10 months. Went to plug it into my macbook pro (mid 2009) running X 10.6.8 When i plug in my HDD, It powers on spins up for about 10-15sec then stops spinning and will not apear in disk utility. The light stays lit but can not figure out why it will not mount or apear in disk utility.

Any suggestions would be amazing. If you need more information just ask.

Thanks

andrew734

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Mine went rather erratic; just a couple of weeks ago, it started showing errors and although the drive mounts onto the mac but the files are not retrieveable at all. So, I did disk utility–> verify disk → repair disk.

After that routine, the drive becomes available once but it is just keep coming back and last sunday, the disk utility fail to repair, and fortunately thru disk warrior, I manage to go to ‘preview’ mode and managed to pull out almost 900gb worth of data, photos and videos dating back to the year 2000.

And strangely, after 4 days effort, I managed most of the files, I rebooted the machine and then viola suddenly that drive mounted but I could get any files copied into or out of it. I guess it is toasted. I have sent it for RMA. WD has better replace my drive,

I probably won’t buy another WD drive again.

dafroggie wrote:

Mine went rather erratic; just a couple of weeks ago, it started showing errors and although the drive mounts onto the mac but the files are not retrieveable at all. So, I did disk utility–> verify disk → repair disk.

After that routine, the drive becomes available once but it is just keep coming back and last sunday, the disk utility fail to repair, and fortunately thru disk warrior, I manage to go to ‘preview’ mode and managed to pull out almost 900gb worth of data, photos and videos dating back to the year 2000.

And strangely, after 4 days effort, I managed most of the files, I rebooted the machine and then viola suddenly that drive mounted but I could get any files copied into or out of it. I guess it is toasted. I have sent it for RMA. WD has better replace my drive,

I probably won’t buy another WD drive again.

You sound like you might have some corrupted files.  you might want to get all the data off you can, then repartition and format the drive, and see if that works. 

andrew734 wrote:

I have a WD, My Book Essential that i have been using for ~10 months. Went to plug it into my macbook pro (mid 2009) running X 10.6.8 When i plug in my HDD, It powers on spins up for about 10-15sec then stops spinning and will not apear in disk utility. The light stays lit but can not figure out why it will not mount or apear in disk utility.

Any suggestions would be amazing. If you need more information just ask.

Thanks

andrew734

simple troubleshooting tips:

• plug power adapter directly into the wall to make sure that it’s getting enough power.
  • change data cable and port you’re connecting into.  bad cables/ports prevents the drive from being read and it will shut down.

if none of those work, you could try getting another power adapter.  but aside from that, you are looking at replacing the drive.

yea tried multiple different power outlets, and both the ports on my mac book pro, cant seem to find a replacement cable in a store so going to have to order one of line. radioshack doesnt stock them up here

contact wd, maybe they’ll send you one.

I’d give them a call as well, if they can’t give you the power adapter then at least the should give you the specs.