WD My Book and NAS Dirves

Hi, I recently had a failure of HDD on my quite old My Book 2 drive enclosure. I put two 3 TB NAS drives in it to get the capacity for back ups. The system on my Mac doesn’t show more than 1.6TB formatable partition. What am I doing wrong? Can you please give me some hints where to go from here. For what ever reason it shows in Disk Utility as WD My Book Media. Do I need a different enclosure?

Hi there,

Can you please specify if you are trying to connect these two 3TB drives in a single My Book enclosure to create 6TB total?
Are both drives working separately out of the enclosure?
How much space did you previously had on the original My Book?

I would still suggest you try a different enclosure and to test both drives separately via SATA connection.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, Yes the 3TB WD Red drives are working ok separately, I had them just connect via HDD cable and are doing ok. However when inside the MyBook enclosure I don’t get the capacity. I don’t have a different enclosure but the MyBook originally was 2 TB, two 1TB each. I guess I am stuck and or need to buy the MyBook Pro enclosure to use these drives, however the enclosure its expensive, I was hoping to avoid this, maybe I go Synology. Any ideas?

Please specify the model of My Book you were using to have a better idea.

Hi, I have a WD MyBook Studi, and it was 2TB total. There were two HDD inside of it 1TB Each. I was hoping to use WD Red drives in it and I bought two 3 TB WD Red drives, but as I written above, it failed to show me the full capacity. I am not as technically skilled as other people, but I think that the controller that is inside of that enclosure has something to do with it. I was hoping I can write to WD and get a enclosure that could handle these 3TB drives as an exchange since the WD has an upgrade program but is available only for US customers as far as I understood. I just don’t have the money to buy a new enclosure, but well I guess that what I would need to do I guess, just need to save money for it, I use the WD MyBook for my imac backups and I really enjoyed it over the years, but I think this product I have is too old now and doesn’t support large capacity drives.