WD My Book 2TB not detected

The problem goes:

I left my laptop in sleep mode overnight, with the WD My Book 2TB connected. It powered down as usual. The next morning when I brought my laptop to college, I unplugged the hard drive from the laptop’s USB port without doing a safe removal (the power supply was still on). Subsequently when I return home and plugged the HDD back to my laptop, the drive was not recognized and it showed up as an unallocated drive in Disk Management.I switched off power and turned it on again to see if that resolves the issue. The drive spins up even when it is not connected to my laptop via USB (Which isn’t the case normally, as it will only spin up when connected via USB).

I tried to use the WD Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics application and the drive passed the quick test, and I am currently running the extended test. However, one thing to note is that the serial number of the drive is not detected, and the SMART status is not available. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I have 700GB worth of data inside, of which half of them are not backed up.

Help is kindly appreciated, thank you.

Hello, I would recommend you to try on a different computer and using different USB cables. If that doesn’t work, then most likely the partition on the drive is corrupted and you will need to get a data recovery software or contact a professional data recovery company.