WD My Book 2 Nas drive not mounting

Hi all.

My NAS drive seems to have failed after many years faithful service. I’d love to retrieve the files off it. The drive itself seems fine, it’s the box that’s failing.

So I’ve taken the drive out and installed into my PC. Disk manager sees it, and data recovery software can see the files on it, but Windows 10 won’t assign a drive letter, so I can’t actually access the files on it. I’m guessing it’s been formatted in some clever fashion to work with the mybook caddy.

Is there anything I can do to make Windows 10 assign a drive letter?

You can see how DIskmanager sees the drive below…

What was the original product part number? a “Mybook” isn’t specific enough as there’s lots of variants of My Books (NAS vs. USB, etc)

Hi

Model number is WD10000H1NC-00

Actually, I just tried changing the battery on the caddy’s hard drive. The light is now flashing on and off instead of doing nothing…Hmmm

Forgive me for all the progress posting…Drive is now booting up, but windows isn’t seeing it on network. However I can access it via twonky…

So, it’s not as dead as I feared. Any idea’s what might get it back up and running from here?

After a 30 second reset, the drive reboots, and I can get access to it via http://192.168.0.52 for a minute or two before I lose connection. I’d love any ideas. It was up to date with the last firmware (01.02.14) but I wouldn’t mind trying to reinstall it.