WD MY BOOK 1TB not accessible

My WD MYBOOK 1TB HD only detecting 1 partition.

I had created 4 partitions,

100GB x 2 primary

200GB x 1 primary

531.3 x 1 extended

10GB x 1 logical partition in extended partition  - LINUX MINT 11

Description:

Bought on 01sep2011

Was working well until 21oct2011  - barely 2 months

Not able to boot from WD HD.

I have a 160GB SATA internal HD, has Win7 and XP installed

Bootloader loads from WD HD but when i choose linux, i gets stuck halfway.

When i choose win7 or XP OS loads properly.

But when I check for WD partitions, only one drive is visible, and all others are not.

Device manager  fails to detect the WD HD.

Cant even access the data that is there in that one drive, gets an error : device/file not found.

On Win7, very annoying popup will be appearing very often----

Drive L: is RAW do you want to format   

Yes Cancel

If i choose Yes, device not found.

I have abt 500+GB data on it, dont want to loose it.

Please can someone give a solution to this problem.

Thank You

Linux isn’t a supported OS and these external drives aren’t bootable.

Joe

Hi,

Thank You for looking into the problem.

I figured the solution,

Problem : There was a 4MB currupted block of memory, which made windows XP and Win7 to go hay-way.

What can I say, Windows just cant figure it out, it was trying to mount the drive (WD HD) and wasn’t able to figure it out.

Solution :  I booted the system and went to bios boot priority, and chose WD.

I had Linux-Mint 10 GNOME, so the OS choices menu screen started. This was there even before, but the linux took too long to load, so I misjudged thinking even it is currupted, and not loading. Even the desktop was not loading, so I assumed it was because of HD.

Last night I thought I’ll give it some time to load, I turned to Mint, the desktop to load took about 20-25min,

but loaded.Went to mycomputer, I saw all drives were there, and all the data was present.

Just to get sure of the existing data, I ran some movies, doc files and some more, everything was fine.

There was a yellow warning mark on 2nd partition, coudnt get what it is. Went to Gparted (partition manager in Linux-Mint), browsed to the WD harddisk, on the second partition it was the same mark on a small block of memory. Pointed the mouse there, it was written - “currupted block of memory”. So just copied all contents of that partition to another drive, and formatted it. Now its working fine.

“LINUX ROCKS”

Problem Solved

Correct me if I am wrong.

Unknown wrote:

Hi,

Thank You for looking into the problem.

I figured the solution,

Problem : There was a 4MB currupted block of memory, which made windows XP and Win7 to go hay-way.

What can I say, Windows just cant figure it out, it was trying to mount the drive (WD HD) and wasn’t able to figure it out.

Solution :  I booted the system and went to bios boot priority, and chose WD.

I had Linux-Mint 10 GNOME, so the OS choices menu screen started. This was there even before, but the linux took too long to load, so I misjudged thinking even it is currupted, and not loading. Even the desktop was not loading, so I assumed it was because of HD.

Last night I thought I’ll give it some time to load, I turned to Mint, the desktop to load took about 20-25min,

but loaded.Went to mycomputer, I saw all drives were there, and all the data was present.

Just to get sure of the existing data, I ran some movies, doc files and some more, everything was fine.

There was a yellow warning mark on 2nd partition, coudnt get what it is. Went to Gparted (partition manager in Linux-Mint), browsed to the WD harddisk, on the second partition it was the same mark on a small block of memory. Pointed the mouse there, it was written - “currupted block of memory”. So just copied all contents of that partition to another drive, and formatted it. Now its working fine.

“LINUX ROCKS”

Problem Solved

Always prepared to face the Truth