WD Media Player not recognizing 6TB MyBook

My 3 TB drive crashed and I have a 6TB MyBook I want to use with my WD Media Player. The media player doesn’t see the 6TB MyBook or a 3TB Seagate drive but does see a 1TB Hitachi drive. I’ve done much research which says that the Media Player won’t recognize a GPT formatted HD (not sure if that’s true) only MBR. Everything I’ve read says you can’t get more than 2TB partitions using MBR but I was using a 3TB MyBook drive previously which worked fine. I understand there’s a way to format a 6TB drive using MBR and a 4K allocation size (rather than 512) which will allow up to 16TB to be seen, again not sure if that’s true, but I can’t find anywhere how to do that. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mooseman44,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.

Thanks, I have already been in contact with them. They’ve given me a phone number to call which I’ll do next week. I’ll post an update for others if the situation gets resolved because I know many people are having this kind of problem. There’s a great many posts on the internet, not just in the WD Forums.

1 Like

solved?