WD Live SMP Wired Network Connection Disconnects

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My SMP disconnects from my wired home network daily. It happens at different times of the day and will not reconnect by force (choosing network connections etc. in the setup tab). It will reconnect at random times on its own.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Restarting the SMP

Unplugging the SMP

Went from a Linksys router to an Actiontec router (still the exact same disconnects)

Leaving the SMP on at all times

Soft shut down of the SMP when not in use

Hard shut down of SMP when not in use (holding off button for 5 seconds)

Changed cat5 cable out

When I try to re-establish connection via wired it says it can’t obtain network connectivity, but when I try to connect wirelessly it goes through without a problem. I would leave it on wireless but my computers do not have wireless capability. At random times during the day the SMP will reconnect on its own for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours before again disconnecting.

I don’t use the SMP for streaming very often but I do use the connectivity to transfer my files that I’ve converted to .mvk from my computer to the USB attached storage drives connected to the SMP.

My setup is the following:

WD Live SMP firmware 1.07

3 WD MyBook Essential 3 TB External Drives

Actiontec GT704WB Router connected via cat5e cable (previously Linksys BEFSR41 v.4 Router)

Belkin powered USB Hub

Optical Audio out to Receiver

HDMI out to TV

2 Win 7 Computers on the same wired network

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated…

Thanks

This problem has developed in the last month or so.

Make sure that WD player workgroup is the same as the PC which are connected to,

by default is WORKGROUP. I.e. make sure that both are in the same workgroup.

Also how do you know that SMP is disconnecting from the router and not your computer?

When SMP is disconnecting, can you access it from another computer who is connected to the same router?

Another thing, check properties of your LAN adapter in your computer, in device manager.

And turn off, auto power saving.

And another tip, assign a constant/permanent IP for your SMP from router,

i.e. static leases without time expire. 

Thanks for the reply Zebra9.> zebra9 wrote:> Make sure that WD player workgroup is the same as the PC which are connected to,

by default is WORKGROUP. I.e. make sure that both are in the same workgroup.

The WD and the computers are all set to WORKGROUP and have been since day one.

Also how do you know that SMP is disconnecting from the router and not your computer?

The router has lights showing each of the access points attached and when the WD drops connection, the light on that line goes out as if it is unplugged. Also the router is the first place that the WD connects to in my home network and looking at the network map in the routers control panel shows that the WD box is not attached. Also the WD box is not visible at either of the 2 computers on the network.

When SMP is disconnecting, can you access it from another computer who is connected to the same router?

No. Neither computer can access it nor can the WD box access the internet.

Another thing, check properties of your LAN adapter in your computer, in device manager.

And turn off, auto power saving.

All are already set to power savings off.

And another tip, assign a constant/permanent IP for your SMP from router,

i.e. static leases without time expire. 

I haven’t tried this yet and will give it a try this morning. I’ll report back in a couple of hours.

Again thanks for your tips and if anyone has any other idea please sound off

Update:

I set the SMP and my home network to static IP. The SMP was connected and working normally until about an hour ago when the connection dropped again, same as before. I am currently unable to force a wired connection as described in my original post but am still able to access wirelessly same as before.

It’s **bleep** frustrating and I hope that someone out there has additional input as to the probable cause. I’ve owned the SMP for almost 6 months so return for exchange isn’t an option and I’d hate to spend another hundred only to find myself in the same position a few months down the road.

Thanks again for any and all input…

Can you give more details about this disconnects?

Like:

What you’re are doing when this disconnect hapends?

When this disconnect hapends you no longer can access the SMP via network or…?

Does this disconnects are time related, i.e. hapends periodically after specified time interval,

or its random?

“WD Live SMP firmware 1.07”

Have you considered a firmare update to the latest version?

zebra9 wrote:

Can you give more details about this disconnects?

Like:

What you’re are doing when this disconnect happens?

It happens randomly. Sometimes when I’m on the one of the computers and network but most times it’s when nothing is happening. The SMP will disconnect from the wired network whether the SMP is on or off, whether I’m on the network or not. The reconnects are random as well but as always I cannot force the player to connect via wired.

When this disconnect happens you no longer can access the SMP via network or…?

That is correct. I cannot access the device from either computer and the SMP cannot connect to any services unless I force it to connect via wireless. Then it connects wirelessly without a problem. Only the wired portion goes in and out.

Does this disconnects are time related, i.e. Happens periodically after specified time interval,

or its random?

They are random. Doesn’t matter time of day, whether any of the computers are on or off, and the time it stays connected via wired varies. There have been instances where it has been connected most of the day and others when it will not connect for more than 30 minutes.

I have gone so far as to have the SMP be the only thing plugged into the router and still it will fail and reconnect itself with varying frequency. I have tried multiple ports on 2 different routers and checked the lease times for connections and all are of no consequence in regards to the disconnects.

Thanks again and hope this info helps…

try flash to the latest firmware, then see how it goes

zebra9 wrote:

try flash to the latest firmware, then see how it goes

I am already running the most current firmware. This problem started before the latest firmware was released and I too had hoped that the firmware update would offer some relief, but this has not been the case.

have you tried reset to factory default or hard reser of the SMP?

zebra9 wrote:

have you tried reset to factory default or hard reser of the SMP?

I had tried a hard reset before but had not done a factory default reset, so I tried that this morning. After several hours the SMP dropped the wired connection again, and refuses to re-connect so no change in behavior yet.

dunno then, think you should RMA it, since where worked fine before and nothing is changed.

I am having this issue too. Did you return the product and did it fix the issue?Or have you found a solution that has not been posted?