WD Live SMP - Full Screen?

Some of my movies have black boarders at the top/bottom or on the sides. (Is this determined by aspect ratio?)
If so - what is the proper aspect ratio to fill a 46" TV?
I cannot seem to switch the movies to full screen via the WD SMP. All I can do is ‘pan and zoom’
I don’t really want to do that because it seems to degrade the quality of the image and you see less than what is intended.
On my TV remote (Samsung UN46D6420) I can just go to tools > and switch the view mode to get everything full screen. However these view modes on the TV do not display when the WD SMP is connected to the TV.
So *shrugs*

Any ideas?

Pan and Zoon is the same thing anything else would do…

“Filling a screen” just so you don’t see black bars is a horrible thing to do to a movie…

You seem concerned to see what was intended, so watch what’s on the screen.  Don’t muck with aspect ratios.

Why is it a “horrible thing to do to a movie”?
My main concern is image burn in. Even though it’s an LCD LED they can still image burn in.
Samsung recommends to change the image to full screen after approx 2 hours of viewing any sort of static image. So those black bars are static images. If a lot of my movies are not full screen it is kind of annoying.

Maybe you should have purchased a Philips LCD 21:9 Extra Wide TV.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/philips-extra-w/

the only other ways to eliminate black borders are:

zoom or pan… (and losing picture in the process)

stretch… (and disorting the picture in the process)

Only Buy or Watch Movies in 1:85:1 Aspect Ratio (Wide Screen - No Borders on a 16:9 TV)

And to quote from the above link:

Interestingly, the main reason why the movie industry started using wider aspect ratios (from their original 4:3 ratio, or 1.33:1) was due to the creation of television. Out of fear TV would take away their audience, movie studios helped establish wider film formats and built screens appropriate for their size. They ended up with super-wide monster formats, including Cinemascope (2.35:1 to 2.55:1, Star Wars), Cinerama (2.60:1, How The West Was Won), and Super Panavision (2.20:1, 2001: A Space Odyssey).

Fennec wrote:
Why is it a “horrible thing to do to a movie”?

Well, you wrote in your post above:  “I don’t really want to do that because it seems to degrade the quality of the image and you see less than what is intended.”

Yet you find it OK … nay, DESIRED, to stretch and distort the image.  :smileyvery-happy:

I’ve never heard of LCD burn in…  That’s the primary advantage of LCD and DLP over plasma and CRT… no burn…

http://www.techlore.com/article/10099/Do-LCD-TVs-Burn-In-/

Otherwise, the “My Computer” icon on my computers would be there forever.  :)

I know it’s a religious debate more than anything, but I’ve never seen anyone want BOTH … image as the director intends BUT be stretched.   I don’t see how the two fit together.  

LCD “burn-in” is usually temporary (i.e. completely reversible). So, don’t worry much about it. If you ever get it (I’ve never had it even after hours of watching movies), it’ll go away on its own, supposedly.

If you’re still paranoid, you can try exiting to the menu and then going back to the movie after those two hours you mentioned.

I agree with TonyPh12345 in that altering the aspect ratio is a terrible thing to do to a movie. In any case, you could try zooming in (not stretching) to fill your whole screen, although you won’t be able to see a part of the image.

Thanks for the response. So you’re certain an aspect ration of 1:85:1 will fill a 46" TV screen - no bars?

Also regarding the image burn in - I actually didn’t believe it was possible for LCD’s to image burn.
I’m just going by what I read on Samsung’s website and I think it’s even in the instruction manual for the TV. So *shrugs*

1.85:1 is a wider format than 16:9 (equivalent of 1.78:1) and will display small bars at the top and bottom of a 16:9 display when there’s no overscan. With overscan, however, the bars should not be present or will be barely present. Most displays do have overscan on by default.

Hello,

I have a question.

Most of the dvd streams are not correct in ratio. It’s seems that the format is 16:9 + additional black bars. So the whole video is smaller that 16:9 and 1.85:1. (The picture is weighter and not so high, looks strange).

I tried with BD Streams, they are ok! Some DVD streams too, but not all.

It does not matter which setup I use on the TV (16:9, normal, 4:3,…) or which setting I use on the WDLive (16:9, normal).

Any idea why this is the case ?

Thanks

Freezer

Some DVD’s are “Anamorphic” Widescreen

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/misc/anamorphic_dvd.htm

Some are “Matted” Widescreen

http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_matte.shtml

I don’t thnk that’s what’s happenning to him. I think that his movies are first being letterboxed to 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9, which is a horrible thing, but I’ve seen it happen with some older DVD players that didn’t handle aspecto ratios properly and had an HDMI output.