WD Live Plus HD stutters on makemkv bluray rips over network share

Ok I’ve got some major stuttering issues with files created using makemkv and handbrake (high profile RF 20).  I’ve checked the media info and bitrate is an average of 6mbps.  Even scanning the file using a biterate scanner shows a low avg with peaks into the 23 - 26 mbps range.   What I did was taking Avatar for example, makemkv and extracted the movie to a single file.  The output of that I fed into handbrake (latest nightly build, build 3708 I think from 12/17/2010).  Do not use their current release 0.9.4.  That is so old they shoulda just updated it by now.  Used high profile, used MKV instead of mp4, and in the audio setting you want to change it to DTS passthru or AC3 pass thru.  RF is default at 20 so leave it there. 

Now this post isn’t a request to ask you folks how to fix this problem.  I’ve realized after reading most of the threads here most of you people have no clue what your talking about or you guys are just feeding back what you read on magazines.  Obviously there are exceptions but from what I gathered there is a deep lack of technical knowledge on this particular forum.

Anyway I wanted to just put a post out there that the stuttering issue seems to be isolated to playing files over SMB/CIFS.  And I’m not talking server side (ie on the NAS).  I’ve got a thecus that can handle easily a 40MB/sec transfer rate.  That is megabytes not bits.  The SMB client on the western digital live plus seems like it can’t handle it.  Either that or the process that takes it from CIFS and feeds it into the player.  Who knows. 

The very same file I tried to play over SMB/CIFS that stutters I can play without stutter via USB drive.  I copied the file to a cheap 2.5" external hard disk USB.  Plugged it into the WD Life and was able to watch the entire movie without a hitch.

I can live with that for now but seems like its no better then the popcorn hour.  Anyway I’m happy with the unit for now and will buy another WD Live once they fix the network issue.

almost forgot. Firmware is latest version. 1.4 something.   I had the same problem with the 1.3? firmware , the one that came with the unit also.  I don’t think firmware version mattered.  Simply playing it from a USB drive fixed the problem. 

My WD TV LIVE has the same problem streaming over ethernet from my Macpro.  Plug-in a usb drive and the file plays fine.

This is happening with all MKV files no matter where they were sourced from or what made them.  The firmware is the latest and this is only a recent problem.  The trouble also happens when streaming from my windows7 netbook.

The playback glitches every second or two then after about a minute the sound drops out and it glitches massively.

Playback used to be rock solid over my LAN so I wonder if the updated firmware now has an issue with streaming.

I have a 8tb NAS drive arriving soon so will test with that.

The major stuttering and audio loss in mkv files is caused by the latest firmware 1.04.10 when streaming over LAN using SMB. USB connected drive is OK.

The minor video framerate glitch (micro-pause every 2 seconds or so) is present with both 1.03.49 and 1.04.10.

This even happens when playing from a USB harddrive directly connected and is not a network issue.

I have had to go back to firmware 1.02.21 to get truly glitch-free playback from any source. The problem with 1.02.21 is that it does not support dvd image playback with full menus.

It’s a sorry state of affairs and i truly hope a new firmware comes out which nails both these issues. I also hope that it implements PGS subtitle playback, audio delay adjustment, pass-through of lossless DTS & Dolby streams and skipping between chapters with the << & >> buttons. 

Just tested B-RAD’s modified firmware and my problems are gone.  Smooth video playback and support for NFS mounts vs CIFS.  I’m still using CIFS and things play smooth.  So far only tested Wolverine.  Prevously could not watch it without stutter.  Now its smooth. 

andy

andyman_sf wrote:

Just tested B-RAD’s modified firmware and my problems are gone.  Smooth video playback and support for NFS mounts vs CIFS.  I’m still using CIFS and things play smooth.  So far only tested Wolverine.  Prevously could not watch it without stutter.  Now its smooth. 

WD should employ B-RAD or make the sources open, and I’m sure, all the whining here will soon stop :slight_smile:

It tempting to try it out but the TV live version is based off 1.02.21

If western digital had any brains they would retain b-rad’s service and pay him or license his work.  I wonder how many engineers WD have on staff to work on firmware and to manage project.  WD should stick with making hardware and contract out the software. Atleast on this particular case they should.

Anyway just watched a few more movies and everything plays fine.  My super old HD-DVD rips @ 23.4mbps plays fine (then again it played fine with the old firmware too).  I’ve really only had problems with variable bit rates such as those made by handbrake using constant quality. 

With that said we can all safely assume that the hardware (signma chips) can handle the high bit rates (depending on what you can consider high).  And even at 23mbps, a 100mbit/s network can handle that easily.  I can’t imagine any NAS (with the exception of the Thecus N4200) that can’t handle this.

Overall I’m really really satisified with this product.  Meets my expectations and allows me to deprecate my old xbox running XBMC.  thank you wd for producing this product.  Sure kicks the heck out of the old popcorn hour (anybody wanna buy my old one! a100 )

andy

RonDouglas wrote:

WD should employ B-RAD or make the sources open, and I’m sure, all the whining here will soon stop :slight_smile:

You do realize that all the code that isn’t GPL, is proprietary, right?  And that WD has paid to licence much of it?  I’m pretty sure DTS and the others would sue WD into oblivion if WD were to release DTS’ (and the others’) licenced code.

You’re right… all the whining here would stop… since these boards (and WD) would cease to exist.

I don’t see that as a very practical solution, though.

Why do you think the the changes that WDLXTV brings are either cosmetic, or additions to the open-source file access?  Perhaps WDLXTV can’t change any of the proprietary playback code?  I’m sure B-rad and his cohorts _ would _ have fixed the header compression issue ages ago, while WD was stuck dealing with the Sigma/HDMI issues, if things like that were within their powers to tinker with.

But then even upgrading to a newer Samba to fix the Win issues has only entered the WDLXTV SVN very recently – WD had it fixed first, despite everyone knowing about the problem since at least August.  So, it’s not even really like anyone can claim the B-rad and his partners are “faster” at incorporating fixes and releasing them than WD is.

RoofingGuy wrote:

But then even upgrading to a newer Samba to fix the Win issues has only entered the WDLXTV SVN very recently

Putting aside the matter that the WD firmwares using 3.5+ of Samba came out before Samba 3.5+ got compiled in to the WDLXTV builds, of course that also means that since Samba 3.5.x _ has _ been compiled in, that any new releases of WDLXTV will be just as “broken” in terms of CIFS as 1.04.10 and 1.03.49 are.

All those whose systems are running older versions of Samba, and having stuttering file-speed problems (either on their Mac or their NAS or whatever) with WD’s newest firmwares, are going to have the exact same network issues with new WDLXTV releases.  At least you’ll get to whine at B-Rad for “breaking” Net Shares when your ancient Samba is as incompatible with 3.5+ in WDLXTV as it is with 3.5+ in WD’s stock firmwares.

@ andyman_sf, which version of B-Rad’s modified firmware are you using for the WD Live Plus?