WD Live Media Player Keeps Loosing Connection

Hi All, I have a DLink DMS 320 ShareCenter NAS used as my Media Server with a TalkTalk latest wireless modem. I can stream media to my Sony 853 led TV that supports DLNA but when I use the WD Live media server to stream media from my NAS it looses connection every 30 minutes or so irrespective of the format or size. I have the latest firmware running and getting really frustrated as I have to re-connect to the NAS that often. Thinking of returning the device and say goodbye to WD products but decided to try the forum first.

Check if setting a static IP help. You can see page 186 of the manual for the steps. 

Manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Hi all,¨¨I am having the same problem. And this since a couple of weeks, while before everithing was running perfectly.

After aprox. 20 mintes of play, it suddently stops with the message"Last source conten thas been erased. Please select a new content source" (I translated this text from french so it may be aproximate in english) and I need to re-select the Multi-media server and hit several time the OK to be able to find my list of videos again.

The WD box is connected via an ethernet cable to the router which in its turn is connected to my PC also via ethernet. No WIFI.

The selection of the Network was done automatically in the Network setting and it was never changed.

All help is highly appreciated. 

eeta3671 wrote:

Hi All, I have a DLink DMS 320 ShareCenter NAS used as my Media Server with a TalkTalk latest wireless modem. I can stream media to my Sony 853 led TV that supports DLNA but when I use the WD Live media server to stream media from my NAS it looses connection every 30 minutes or so irrespective of the format or size. I have the latest firmware running and getting really frustrated as I have to re-connect to the NAS that often. Thinking of returning the device and say goodbye to WD products but decided to try the forum first.

I would suggest you try accessing the NAS using “shares” rather than DLNA.  I just looked at the manual for the DNS-320 (I presume this is what you meant), and it supports both CIFS (i.e., WIndows) and NFS protocols.  Both of these should work better with the WD TV Live units than the DLNA server (which may very well be buggy in the NAS).  The manual is very clear about how to share out a directory/folder so that any user can access it.  Try enabling just CIFS first.  Then you need to setup access to the Windows share in the WD TV unit and select that as your source under Videos (red button to set source).  See the appropriate WD TV Live unit manual for more detailed info about how to setup access to a share.

My WDTV SMP for the past two weeks has been shutting off the wifi connection. It wouldn’t reconnect, and the only way to bring it back up was to pull the power cord or to FULLY power off and on (holding power button for 5 seconds).

Tried static IP and other solutions. These things are too termpermental due to poor quality control. Exchanged the first one due to stability issues thinking it was defective. Now I see it’s just par for the course. I’m returning mine tomorrow and going back to Roku.

I’ll eventually build an HTPC. But for now, a Roku + Roksbox + Plex will meet my needs and not crash every other video.