WD Live Hub Has internet but will not show up in my windows 7 network

My setup is

PC - Windows 7 64bit Hardwired to:

a switch (TRENDnet TPE-S444) wich is hardwired to:

WD Live hub

and my modem ( motorola sb5101)

Everything was working fine with my old setup wich WAS a linksys router running Tomato 1.28.  However with that setup I was having issues getting internet to other devices in my house so I got out the TRENDnet switch.  The switch got internet devided to all the other devices in my home hohever…

I am no longer able to access my WD live hub from my PC and of coarse also not able to access my PC from my WD live hub.

The odd part is the WD live hub can access the internet I tested this by running an app from the WD live hub

things I have tried:   ***aside from reading and Googleing literaly for 5 hours straight)

-restoring factory settings on the WD live hub

-automaticaly seting up network conection from WD live hub

-manualy setting up network from WD live hub

-rebooting all devices

I should also note that when I open the “see full map” in Window 7 “network and sharing center” it shows that my PC and WDLiveHub are conected to the switch wich is conected to a gatewat wich is conected to the internet.  as far as I know I do not have a gateway between my switch and the internet.  The little knowledge I know makes me think of a Gateway as a router.  I do not have any router hooked up to my network at the moment.

I have also tried thw WD Discovery tool.

It finds the WD live hub but when I click the:

“configure” button - my web browser gives me a “403 Forbidden” error

“Map netword drive” button - \216.221.76.157 the network path was not found.

so I double check from my WD live hub and that is the IP address.

“browse network shares” button - same \216.221.76.157 the network path was not found.

“create desktop shortcut” button - creates a shortcut

but when I open the shortcut I get message saying that it is not accessable and that I may not have permission.

Thats an unusual IP address for a home LAN. What’s the IP address your PC is using?

I am not sure…

I am pretty sure my PC is: 216.221.85.15

Open up a CMD window and type the command IPCONFIG.

and paste the ENTIRE output; don’t forget to scroll up to get the beginning of the output.

ok.

Have to wait for a moderator to approve the image…  Can you just cut & paste the text??

how do you select text from a cmd window?

I edited the picture to text insread.

sorry I am having problems with this…

when I did the ipconfig from the cmd window it does have my

IPv4 address as:   216.221.85.15 

I am adding that my boxee box works fine…

thw WD is still not working…

No, there’s no text…  All I see is your IP address.

I need to know your subnet mask and default gateway, too.

I think the problem is that the IP addresses that the @Roofio has given are public IP addresses (see below). The local network does not appear to have a router.

IP Information - 216.221.85.15

IP address:                     216.221.85.15
Reverse DNS:                    d221-85-15.commercial.cgocable.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity:       [Verified]
ASN:                            7992
ASN Name:                       COGECOWAVE
IP range connectivity:          7
Registrar (per ASN):            ARIN
Country (per IP registrar):     CA [Canada]
Country Currency:               CAD [Canada Dollars]
Country IP Range:               216.221.64.0 to 216.221.95.255
Country fraud profile:          Normal
City (per outside source):      Unknown
Country (per outside source):   –
Private (internal) IP?          No
IP address registrar:           whois.arin.net
Known Proxy?                    No
Link for WHOIS:                 216.221.85.15

IP Information - 216.221.76.157

IP address:                     216.221.76.157
Reverse DNS:                    d221-76-157.commercial.cgocable.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity:       [Verified]
ASN:                            7992
ASN Name:                       COGECOWAVE
IP range connectivity:          7
Registrar (per ASN):            ARIN
Country (per IP registrar):     CA [Canada]
Country Currency:               CAD [Canada Dollars]
Country IP Range:               216.221.64.0 to 216.221.95.255
Country fraud profile:          Normal
City (per outside source):      Unknown
Country (per outside source):   –
Private (internal) IP?          No
IP address registrar:           whois.arin.net
Known Proxy?                    No
Link for WHOIS:                 216.221.76.157

That’s definately a possibility.

But it’s also possible to use public IP inside a private network;   He’s certianly got a less than normal setup either way, and the WD’s might not have been designed to cope with that.

If the devices aren’t in the same broadcast domain, then it’s not going to work.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

But it’s also possible to use public IP inside a private network;   He’s certianly got a less than normal setup either way, and the WD’s might not have been designed to cope with that.

Yeah, I have heard it is possible but not something I would attempt. I like the security of my router and NAT.

Removing a router and replacing it with a switch as the OP said is well just, lets say very risky and definitely only for a networking expert to attempt.

parnott100 wrote:> Removing a router and replacing it with a switch as the OP said is well just, lets say very risky and definitely only for a networking expert to attempt.

I am one, and I’d never do it!   :smileyvery-happy:

so what am i to do then?

Have you tried connecting to your internet provider through PPPoE.  It is a internet connection type in the router setup.

Just a thought.

Roofio wrote:

so what am i to do then?

Put your Linksys router back into your network between your modem and switch. Configure your Linksys router to act as- Gateway, NAT, DHCP server, local DNS and forwarder, etc. Basically all defaults. The Tomato firmware supports all of these options plus many more.

@TheCoolDude- PPPoE only works if you have a PPPoE connection point at the other end. I don’t think Cogeco works that way. Actually pretty obviously not, as the devices the OP has connected are pulling piblic IP addresses. 

thanks I will work on implimenting everything you suggest.  However I only understand maybe 50% of what you just suggested…

I will figure it all out on my own thogh.  Thanks.

I think my problem is with network security settings in windows now though…  because when I try to access the computer that I am on from the network section of that computer windows rells me I may not have permision and to check with the admin…