WD Live Hub can't access files on MyBookLive using Network Share

Using my WD TV Live or my WD TV Live Hub, I can access my media files on MYBookLive via “Media Share”, but I can’t access my files on MyBookLive using “Network Share”. However from my WD TV Live I can access my media files on my WD TV Live Hub using Network Share. I also have no problems accessing my computer files through the Media Share option.
The problem is with both WD TV products trying to access files through Network Share. I keep getting invalid username and password. I have tried username admin password admin and failed. I also tried username anonoymous password (blank) and failed. I also tried creating a user and share on MyLiveBook and those username and password failed. I have made sure all of the media sharing options through my control panel is set properly.When I use my desktop computer I have no problems saving files or seeing files on MyLiveBook. I have also done a full restore on MyLiveBook and the issue remains the same. I know I can get by using Twonky in the Media Server but I would like to have everything working. Please advise.

Try giving the Western Digital support line a go.  You seem to have covered the basic troubleshooting stuff.

deanders wrote:

Using my WD TV Live or my WD TV Live Hub, I can access my media files on MYBookLive via “Media Share”, but I can’t access my files on MyBookLive using “Network Share”. However from my WD TV Live I can access my media files on my WD TV Live Hub using Network Share. I also have no problems accessing my computer files through the Media Share option.
The problem is with both WD TV products trying to access files through Network Share. I keep getting invalid username and password. I have tried username admin password admin and failed. I also tried username anonoymous password (blank) and failed. I also tried creating a user and share on MyLiveBook and those username and password failed. I have made sure all of the media sharing options through my control panel is set properly.When I use my desktop computer I have no problems saving files or seeing files on MyLiveBook. I have also done a full restore on MyLiveBook and the issue remains the same. I know I can get by using Twonky in the Media Server but I would like to have everything working. Please advise.

First off, there’s no such thing as “Media Share.”   There’s “Media Server,” and “Network Share.”  ;)

If you’re using “Network Share,”  you need to provide the user ID and password of the USER that you’re allowing to access the SHARE, as defined in the MBL.

If you’re using “Network Share,” then the “Media Serving” settings have aboslutely no effect;  those settings are only relevent if you’re using “Media Server.”

So, just for testing, try this:

In the MBL, create a user called “wdtv” in lower case, without the quotes.

Set the password to “wdtv” in lower case, without the quotes.

On the same screen, check the checkbox to “Create a private share for this user.”

Uncheck the checkbox to “Allow access to existing shares.”

…and click the SAVE button.

That’s all you need to do on the MBL.

Now, log into that share from your PC and move some media into it.   Just a few files.

Now, on your WDTV, go to “SETUP / NETWORK / Clear Login Info for Network Shares.”

Next, go to “SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRAY / MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER for NETWORK SHARES.”

Select “Add a share.”

Select the name of your MyBook Live from the list.

Provide the Userid and password, both of which are “wdtv” as you defined above.

Wait a minute or so.

Now go to “VIDEOS”

Press the RED BUTTON on the remote and select “My Media Library.”

Let me know how that works.

Still says invalid username and password

Immediately after attempting to connect to the MBL via your WDTV, issue the command 

clear ; tail -n20 /var/log/samba/log.smbd

… and paste the output here.