WD Live for Audio Files?

I have finally found a solution to the problems of a nearly unusable interface, album art issues, and mangled tags.  Don’t attempt to use WD Live to play audio files. In fact, don’t use the media library for music files at all.  If you wish to see your audio files, you are best off using a media server on the network. 

Then, simply use the WD Live as a “renderer” on a phone or computer music player.  Since the android remote for the WD Live is more usable than the physical one, it was not a stretch at all to add an android app that will take the music on my network server and play it through the WD Live.  On the fly playlists, album art, no tag problems.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing…

I have the WDTV Live plus and I dont have any issues with the tags.

Is there anyone else having this problems with the tags? this might be your solution.

If the libary is turned “off” the WD SMP can not read the tag variables. I reported that as a bug to WD …

Well the answer was , “no bug” it is a feature of the (**bleep**) media libary.

@Chennai:

What app are you using to make your WD Live (just) a renderer ?

Have you tried the app BubbleUpnP ?

That would be one of my favorites for that …

Sorry, just joined this forum to ask one question.

From the above am I correct that the NEW WDTVLIVE streaming player does NOT use the mp3 tags, while my older WDTVLIVE did?

What a **bleep** idea. Which moron at WD removed that function? I used to be able to see Title, Artist and Album in the info bar and now I can’t?

HomeGirl

So first: Welcome to our community ! :smiley:

Of course you still are able to do this, HomeGirl.

This is the default (but slower) setup.

ONLY _ if _ you turn off the media libary the WD SMP can not read the tag variables. Perhaps it is the same behaviour like in the modell before /I don’t know that.

ragdexx wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing…

I have the WDTV Live plus and I dont have any issues with the tags.

Is there anyone else having this problems with the tags? this might be your solution.

Same goes for me and my Live Plus, and by my not having an SMP, can’t address the media library issue.  But, maybe it is the “way” the user is trying to play the music.  I have mentioned my procedures in detail in previous messages.  Suffice to say here, my iTunes Media folder is replicated onto the WD’s attached drive.  None of the files are DRM-protected, so they all can play via the WD. I create playlists using iTunes, and they are also on this drive.  I click on a playlist (or any single file for that matter) and off we go with music playing, including all the art, and other important data on screen – unless it is not in the file, and for that, I thank iTunes for not always including it when I create mp3 from my CDs.  (In most cases, I can fix this problem within iTunes after importing CD.)

Yes.  I’ve tried Upnp and Bubble and liked Bubble the best.

BTW, I think the WDLive Media Library reads some id tags when it is on.  But it doesn’t have an effective way to make playlists or to queue music, whether the queue or playlist is by tag or not. 

It also doesn’t read all tags or read them properly.  That’s why the media library will display some artists as ORT=Adele, for example.  The WD Live thinks it has read a tag called ARTISTS rather than ARTISTSORT.

But it doesn’t have an effective way to make playlists

The WD is not designed to MAKE playlists; only use them.  You have to make playlists using another program such as iTunes, or other programs that can create playlists.