WD Live and receiver

Hi all,

Question for all the old-timers.
I have a WD TV Live currently connected HDMI to my Sony TV, and the TV is connected optical to my SONY receiver. Works ok.

I want to connect the WD Live HDMI directly to the receiver, and then from the receiver HDMI to the TV.

When I do this, I get a black screen, so I know the TV thinks there’s a connection.

I can do this with my Nvidia Shield and it works fine, so I’m thinking my WD Live maybe has some incorrect settings? I looked through them all, and don’t see anything obvious.

Thanks for any advice…

It should work …

Plug the WDTV driectly back into the TV and change the WDTV HDMI Output Setting to “Auto” and then try it through the AV Receiver again.

Thanks, Video Output is already set to HDMI Auto…

hmmm … ok, assuming everything in your setup is 1080p

set the WDTV manually to 1080p

if still no picture, have a look through the AV Receiver User Manual and see if there are any settings for the HDMI Connections Input>Ouput

if that doesn’t work … then i would advise using the WDTV as a paper weight or door stopper.

but seriously, why even bother with the WDTV when you have a Nvidia Shield ? :confused:

It’s a superior device that can play 4K, HEVC, 10 Bit Color Depth etc etc which the WDTV can’t, and never be able to do.

“set the WDTV manually to 1080p”

There’s 3 options - 24Hz 50Hz or 60Hz - does it matter which one I choose?

“Shield… It’s a superior device that can play 4K, HEVC, 10 Bit Color Depth etc etc which the WDTV can’t”

I love my WD Live. The only reason I got the Shield was to be able to play HEVC and some older formats when necessary.
I like the WD’s video control better - and that I can jump to a certain position immediately. Seems to be a lot more clicking using Kodi to get anywhere. Also like the way WD has the library setup. Maybe I haven’t learned the Shield and Kodi well enough, but it seems you can only navigate through folders, instead of defining a library and grouping folders.

Thanks.

I have an old ASUS O’Play and I just tried connecting and it also works fine.

So both the Shield and the ASUS work using the same HDMI ports on the TV and the receiver.

It must be something to do with the WD Live.

I tried setting the WDTV to 1080p 60Hz and then it worked, sorta.

It connected but when I checked the WD setup, it had changed HDMI to 720p, When I change HDMI back to 1080p, the screen shrinks so that there are black borders on the sides and everything looks compressed. Change to 720p the full screen is displayed.

Same thing with the Shield and the ASUS.

The receiver supports 4K, so why wouldn’t 1080p come through as is, unchanged? There’s nothing in the manual re changing video input/output. All HDMI references have to do with audio.

Thanks for getting me this far, any further ideas?

Well I found out why there was an issue with connecting at first. Started having a problem with connecting again, so I swapped the HDMI cables and now it works, but the other device no longer works.

So the HDMI cable is good enough for all the devices and the TV, but not good enough for the receiver.

Though that still doesn’t explain why the receiver won’t pass 1080p unchanged.