WD Live 1.06.15 ISO/MKV/VOB Playback Solution Help

Hi All,

I am brand new to the WD Live scene. I just unboxed my (2x) units last night and, without too much fuss, managed to get them onto the network and pointed to my NAS files (though for some reason it just will not ‘see’ my 5GHz connection, only the 2.4GHz one and the adapters are dual band n-class).

I haven’t had any blockyness, but the iso’s due play wierdly. They will play fine for between 5 and 60 seconds, then start playing in a kind of double-time speed whilst skipping frames - there is also no sound during this time. If I skip to the next chapter playback resumes to normal for again, about 5 seconds, then back to the strange skipping again. Same if I pause the movie for a few moments, plays fine for a few seconds after un-pausing, then back to the skippy/jumpy thing again.

I spent a few hours trawling through the forums last night and there was mentions of:

1. Amending the screen display size and refresh rate, setting it to a specific amount (ie 50Hz) or not at all and to leave on Auto. Tried multiple combinations - no change.

2. Changing the playback region settings to Central Europe (i think) ISO - no change.

3. Dissableing DNLA network under Network Settings; I can’t find any such settings on this firmware and not sure if I’m missing something - so, no change.

4. Not to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.06.15) - too late for me, I just did it as matter of habbit with a new ‘toy’.

The main reason for getting the streamer is that I have about 900+ DVD quality (4GB+) downloaded movies which have all been converted to DVD (VOB) format and burnt to disc. I recently aquired an awesome NAS unit (Synology 1511+) and chucked 10TB of storage in it and was hoping to get all my movies onto the NAS so that I didn’t have to use the discs anymore.

All of the iso’s I have tested have been created through various mediums. I have original rips using DVDFab - ripped to VOBs and burnt onto disc. I have now imported the file (off the DVD) to the NAS using MagicISO (as an iso not uif - would this make a difference?). I also have downloaded mkv’s which have been converted using ConvertXtoDVD and burnt straight into an iso. Avi’s and various other formats that have been converted using ConvertXtoDVD and burnt onto disc, then used MagicISO to create an image. All of which play flawlessly using my PC or laptop straight from the NAS using VLC player. Also the stream brilliantly to my iPhone using GoodPlayer.

I have tried burning a converted image to disc and checking that the new image isn’t corrupted - and the few I’ve done play without issue on several different brand players in the house.

Other file formats play fine like mpegs, but i tried it with a .mov file and had the same issue as the iso playback!

Any help/advise really welcomed as otherwise I’ve just forked out $300 (including the usb wi-fi cards) for nothing!

Are there any mods or user firmware i can use to solve this? (Also, on a side note - any chance of explaining how to search my movies list so I don’t have to scroll through 900 to find the one I want? Or an easy way to get to my movies without having to scroll through 7 or 8 steps to get to my movies list on the NAS in the first place?)

Day 2

I have now tried an .mkv file (a stunning 6.5GB rip of Pan’s Labyrinth) and still having awful playback issues.

I tried enabling the DLNA server on my NAS and placing an ISO into the folder along with this .mkv - both were extremely jittery and unwatchable.

I had the same two files in my main video folder and again - rubbish.

I tried playing the same files from multiple locations from within the WD Live menu - I think one is under network/server, one under network/file share (or something to that effect) and again under videos/folder - every time I still have the same issue.

I’m really starting to regret this purchase now and would appreciate some advice as otherwise I’m selling it all if I can get this working in the next month and just getting an Apple TV and ripping the whole lot to mp4 - at least I know they work!

PLEASE HELP!   :smileyvery-happy:

Day 3

I have now also tried putting 3x the same movie into my NAS folder in different formats. ISO/UIF/VOB folder. Since placing the VOB folder in the network share folder the movies seem to play ok - some of them. Even though all of the iso’s in the folder are ripped into the same iso format, the WD Live doesn’t ‘recognise this format’ for some of the files which is really bizzare.

I’d also appreciate if anyone else is running a WNDR3700 Netgear router with the WD Live if they could advise on correct QoS settings to get the best throughput of signal as I tried playing one movie upstairs and one downstairs at the same time and they both stuttered…  the NAS has a read speed which I have tested of 160MB per sec which, theoretically, should be able to play 3 movies no proble at all.

To test this I played on iso on the WD Live downstairs, one movie (using VLC Player) on my desktop which is ethernet wired to the network, one movie of my laptop (switched in to the 2.4GHz chanel to see if I’m just overloading that at all) and yet another movie off my partners laptop (default 2.4GHz channel) with no issues at all. All (4) movies played perfectly! Simultaneously!

This is really making no sense yet…

vidinoz

2x WD Live TV 1.06.15
2x D-LINK DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter
Synology 1511+ NAS with 3GB RAM and DS510 extension

vidinoz, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,