WD leads consumers to commit a big error (WNDA3100)

The WNDA3100v1 and v2 are different physically.  The V2 has the bigger grey button (shown on lower left)

V1:

V2:

The problem, as I have explained, is that the version without revision number are NO LONGER SOLD. Only v2. All shops only sell Netgear WNDA3100 and it’s done! It is v2, but has no reason to specify it, since it is the only version that exists. There is no other option of this product. So, if WDTV Live Hub was once compatible with Netgear WNDA3100 (no rev. #), there is more ways to get such adapter. Therefore, it should be removed from the compatible list to avoid mistakes. My problem with the adapter I bought does not have solution. Just want anyone else to fall into the same error again.

And I think that the problem is not from Netgear. They are not giving wrong information to their customers, but WD.

Right now all I see is the unreasonable costumer :slight_smile:

can’t believe this thread is still going

WD provided a list of supported adaptors, the list includes the revision # tested and working

if you fail to read, I see no fault on WD’s part,

All I see is user error.

As for the dongle not being available for purchase anymore

check ebay, I’m sure there’s plenty, usually with pictures that show the label listing the revision #

Blackbriar wrote:

The problem, as I have explained, is that the version without revision number are NO LONGER SOLD. Only v2. All shops only sell Netgear WNDA3100 and it’s done! It is v2, but has no reason to specify it, since it is the only version that exists. There is no other option of this product. So, if WDTV Live Hub was once compatible with Netgear WNDA3100 (no rev. #), there is more ways to get such adapter. Therefore, it should be removed from the compatible list to avoid mistakes. My problem with the adapter I bought does not have solution. Just want anyone else to fall into the same error again.

And I think that the problem is not from Netgear. They are not giving wrong information to their customers, but WD.

As explained by Ichigo and other forum members the device you have purchased does not fall in the criteria provided by WD.

We will pass your suggestion of removing this device from the list for it to be considered.

The best thing to do, as many other users suggested as well, is to try getting one of the devices that show on the list of supported devices.

Blackbriar wrote:

I would say that most of them are no longer sold but that does not mean that they are no longer compatible. Its a compatibility list not a current stock list.

Blackbriar wrote:

Blackbriar,

Bear with me.  Are you saying that the box the adapter comes in no longer says, or refers to, any version number?

1 Like

The box shows the revised version number, although very small and on the side of the box. But you just discovered this reality when the product in hand. The stores (especially online stores) do not report the version number. And I think does it really make sense to not inform, since it is the only existing version selled (new) today.

Anyway, I’ve talked with WD! They explained everything properly and I was pleased. I just want to prevent others from falling into the same mistake.

1 Like

This thread will be a big help towards letting other users know, especially if they google this model number.

1 Like

Perhaps, if the compatible list is changed, rather than removing the product entirely from the list, the list should specify which version works, and that susequent versions/revisions apparently do not work.  Not rocket science to do this.

These adapters would not even be a hassle for anyone (users and WD) anymore if in the future, wifi was built-in to all WD media players.  If Roku can do it cost-effectively, then WD sure as heck can!  Charge more for players if need be, but just do this!  End of problem!!

1 Like

mike27oct wrote:

Perhaps, if the compatible list is changed, rather than removing the product entirely from the list, the list should specify which version works, and that susequent versions/revisions apparently do not work.  Not rocket science to do this.

These adapters would not even be a hassle for anyone (users and WD) anymore if in the future, wifi was built-in to all WD media players.  If Roku can do it cost-effectively, then WD sure as heck can!  Charge more for players if need be, but just do this!  End of problem!!

It does say which version works and all new WD players do have built in wifi.

OK, Rich, thanks,  So, “end of problem” has already arrived, and subsequently, NMW (no more whining).

mike27oct wrote:

OK, Rich, thanks,  So, “end of problem” has already arrived, and subsequently, NMW (no more whining).

No it’s not over! Whine: I wanna go to Florida!! :slight_smile:

found a solution

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Firmware-3-01-19-Wifi-doesn-t-work/idc-p/572792#M2758

I suggest getting rid of your **bleep** Netgear device and never buying another Netgear product.  Netgear has more compatibility issues than all of their competitors combined.  I wouldn’t blame WD or anyone else for dropping Netgear compatibility entirely.  You said your self that Netgear is hiding their version number in small print on the side of the box.  If they were being open (as they should be) they would want their potential customers to know the version number had changed.  Instead they make it inconspicuous.  Do yourself a favor and get a mainstream product.

ram1009 wrote:

I suggest getting rid of your **bleep** Netgear device and never buying another Netgear product.  Netgear has more compatibility issues than all of their competitors combined. 

That’s and extremely broad and unreasonable statement. Netgear makes plenty of fine networking equipment.  The issue here is a specific adapter that is not supported. Lets keep it at that.

I am using two netgear routers plus two netgear switches at my house, have never had any compatability issues with them at all, and they play nice with all of my WD Devices. I would have no issue recomending Netgear equipment to anyone. 

-P

I’m very happy for your sucess with Netgear but my comments/suggestions stand.  I’ve read far too many horror stories on other forums to think otherwise.  You’re entitled to your opinion as am I.  Let the OP decide.

Wny delete this post? It states on the box under package contents WNDA3100v2.

The compability list states no version…

Change the “Not Listed*” state to v1 (or note the v2 (newer) model does NOT work).

If you open the compatibility list in the store you assume that it IS compatible… 

Could have saved me 40 euro’s :angry:

Wny delete this post?

The comment above I made was a request to the forum moderator to delete the blank post I wrote, but I can see how that could be a confusing comment, so I just edited and removed any text at all from the post.

ram1009 wrote:

I’m very happy for your sucess with Netgear but my comments/suggestions stand.  I’ve read far too many horror stories on other forums to think otherwise.  You’re entitled to your opinion as am I.  Let the OP decide.

Im happy to let the OP decide whatever they like, you should do the same. The issue at hand is that specific Netgear product is not compatible with the WD system. Anyways my comment were about your post, not the OPs choice of adapter.

You might think about following your own advice instead of trashing a company and all the products they make because you read about it by on the internet. That’s irresponsible at best, backed up by nothing. You have the right to give all the advise that you want, but some actual experience with the products, and perhaps some specifics would give you a bit more credibility than blanket statements like “Netgear has more compatibility issues than all of their competitors combined”, which you have no actual empirical evidence of that being true. Good workmen don’t blame the tools, especially when they have never used them.

Once upon a time I bought an WiFi adapter from D-Link  for my Gen1 box that was not on the compatibility list, and of course it did not work. I didn’t blame the D-Link. They make decent equipment. I blamed myself for making the purchase without doing my homework.

-P