WD HD 1 Gen and DTS - Questions for Western Digital

Below the questions that I put in a recent discussion with Western Digital Customer Care.

1. is it possible that a Chipset is able to process an audio file AAC Kbps 5.1 and is NOT able to process a DTS Kbps 5.1, and why?
  2. is it possible that a Chipset is able to process a video file MKV 1920 x 1080 p, Fps and is NOT able to process a DTS Kbps 5.1, and why?
    3) If licensing copyright (including license for DTS decoding) must be paid for every HW (chipset) sold, what happens if WD lets customers download a new firmware  WD that let play DTS audio files?

No any answer, of course.

There was only a suggestion to read better the audio specifications in the back side of the pack before the purchasing of the product.

Yes because when people buy an HD player well know that a large part of HD films (80%) use DTS and WD HD 1 gen support only AAC and AC3.

With my very best compliments!!!

giancarlo

Well, you do know the answer…   Licensing is the issue.  

Licensing based on firmware would be very difficult, and I doubt WDTV would want to find a way to manage that.

Pirating the firmware would be easy unless specific antipiracy mechanisms were compiled into the code, and the entire code-base encrypted.