WD Green detected by BIOS but not by OS

Great, Otto!
I downloaded Ubuntu and it can see my HDD.
I gave a letter to it, but I don’t know what else I have to do.
Format, create a partition’
Please, I ask for the last step.
thanks

1 Like

Hi Cesare, I’m glad it worked!

We know now that the problem is at the OS level. So, the question is, do you need to work on Windows® XP SP3?

Probably, the solution would be:

• Use a Microsoft® Operating System which has support: Windows® Vista or higher.
  • Use Linux® Ubuntu (this time you should install it, not use the Live CD/USB option).
  • Or reinstall using a fresh Windows® XP SP3 with SATA drivers included. Not the 64 bit edition which has many problems!

Otto.

Thanks, Otto.
I am going to install Ubuntu.
But please let me know, a sata HD (300 GB) has been working with XP SP3 on my PC.
Does the new one (1TB) need different drivers to work?
And further will new drivers be enough?

Hi Cesare, you won’t need any drivers, since Ubuntu will detect it without any problems. Good choice by the way! Feel free to ask any other question you have.

Otto

Sorry,
I didn’t express my question about drivers in a clear way.
I mean about Windows. If the 300 GB sata HD works and XP SP3 detects it,
why is not the same for 1TB sata HD. Should I use different drivers for it in XP?

I hope to be clearer.

Hi Cesare, yes It’s a bit tricky but in my opinion it’s because the firmware itself, you can’t do too much searching for drivers. If you like, you can try it on a clean Windows® XP SP3 with SATA drivers installation, and look if it is detected as an unrecognized device or similar, then Windows® Update will search if there are any drivers out there.

Hope this help, feel free to ping me again!