WD green 1TB not recognized by Windows

Hi guys, I just built a new computer… I followed the instructions and did everything correctly. but Windows 7 and 8 doesn’t recogzine WD green 1TB. It shows up in the “Where to install windows” list as partition 1  and sometimes as Unallocated Space, sometimes it doesn’t show up at all… when it does, I can’t format or install on it. I get a message saying “Failed to format the selected partition”.

I tried to format it in CMD, but i was stuck at 0% and then got an error message… WD showed up in List disk, but not list volume.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Can you connect this drive to another computer for testing? If so, you should run “Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows” to determine if the drive is functioning correctly. You can download WINDLG here-

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=705&sid=3&lang=en

If the drive does not show any errors, you can try doing a Quick Erase in Data Lifeguard to restore the drive to a clean state. If errors are reported, contact Support.

http://support.wdc.com/

Please note that WD does not recommend Green drives for use as System drives. They are primarily intended as secondary data drives. If nothing else, a Green would be rather slow compared to a Blue or Black.

EDIT: Windows 7 and 8 create a small partition at the beginning of the drive. This partition is reserved for System use. You should not be able to format it. If the drive is entirely unallocated, this small partition will be created when you create your active partition to set up Windows in.

1 Like

I aso have a similar issue. Wd 2 t ext drive, isnt see in windows bt seen under “safe to eject”??? Plz help. all my Family pics and alot of other valuable info is on it.ho do i recover, access,

Debie68@live.com

Debiec68 wrote:

I aso have a similar issue. Wd 2 t ext drive, isnt see in windows bt seen under “safe to eject”??? Plz help. all my Family pics and alot of other valuable info is on it.ho do i recover, access,

Debie68@live.com

Look in Disk Management (Right click Computer > Left Click Manage > Left Click Disk Management in the lower part of the left column. If the drive appears, does it have a drive letter?

If Disk Management asks to Initialize the drive, DON’T let it!!! Click Cancel instead.

If you get this situation it will be necessary to attempt data recovery. Post back if this is the case and we can take it from there.