Wd externals not detected

I have 1 easy store and 1 my book drive that are no longer being detected. I did a reinstall from the settings trouble shooting page keeping my files. Both drives do not seem to be running. I have tried both drives in a different computer and have the same results. Does anybody have any idea what would cause both drives to no longer function after a reinstall. Every thing else is working fine and I did try a different my book and it worked fine. Thanks for any ideas.

Hi @rwc128gmailcom,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1 Like

Did you solve your problem?

Change the USB Port/Cable to Detect WD External Hard Drive

If the WD external hard drive cannot be detected or fails to show up on your PC, change the USB port (you may try to connect the external hard drive to the motherboard), or connect it using a different USB cable to check if it shows up on the PC.

Remove and Clean Up the Virus that Blocks/Stops WD External Hard Drive From Working

When the computer or the WD external hard drive gets infected by a virus or malware, you cannot access the saved data or even open the drive on the PC.

In this case, use anti-virus software or malware on your PC or WD external hard drive.

Turn On USB Root Hub

Another simple trick to fix the issue. In this, you just have to Turn On all USB Root Hub.

Execution Steps are:

1. Click Start
  2. Type devmgmt.msc
  3. Press Enter
  4. Click Device Manager
  5. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
  6. Now, right-click on USB Root Hub, choose Properties followed by Power Management
  7. Disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
  8. Follow the process for all USB Root Hub
  9. Reboot PC

I am having the same issue 2 different passport external drives not working within the last 10 days. Tested these 2 on other computers - same issue. Tested other external drives - no issue. At a loss and need the data retrieved