WD External Drive - Folders but NO FILES

I have an external WD hard drive. I haven’t used it in awhile, and last time I did, everything was fine. This morning, I plugged it in and all of the folders are there, but none of the files are showing. When I used Disk Utlities over 38000 files were found, but I can’t see them. I tried to run VERIFY DISK but I got an error message saying the disk “could not be unmounted.”

This is the primary backup for my…life. Seriously. Freaking out here a little. Please help!

Same thing has happened to me. I cannot find a solution. Four years of research down the drain. 

: WD External Drive - Folders but NO FILES [ New ]

a moment ago

Same here. Running mybook 1.5 TB. Disk Utility in my imac says that there is 1.1 TB remaining but 350 gigs of music has disappeared from folder on mybook. iTunes will still play the music but I cannot see the files on the external drive. Help!!

solacestudio wrote:

I have an external WD hard drive. I haven’t used it in awhile, and last time I did, everything was fine. This morning, I plugged it in and all of the folders are there, but none of the files are showing. When I used Disk Utlities over 38000 files were found, but I can’t see them. I tried to run VERIFY DISK but I got an error message saying the disk “could not be unmounted.”

This is the primary backup for my…life. Seriously. Freaking out here a little. Please help!

What did you ever do about this?