WD EX2 wont recognise any USB devices

I have just set up a new WD EX2 and none of my USB 2.0/3.0 portable drives or USB flash drives are recognised. Are there special requirements for USB drives, i.e. only certain brands, formatting.

Thanks

None that I’m aware of.

Are your USB drives formatted using Windows?

I can read the USB drives from Windows Ok. The USB drives are a mixture of  NTFS and FAT32. I am beginning to think that the WD EX2 is faulty.

Hmm…possible. The USB drives should power on and be recognized by EX2 right away. Not sure if FAT32 is supported (probably is) but NTFS definitely is. I have two NTFS USB 3 drives connected to mine without issues. They show up under the dashboard’s Shares page, each drive as an individual share. You should also see the drives from the dashboard’s USB icon at the top right corner of any dashboard page, right next to the bell (alerts) icon, etc.

My Linux is a bit rusty but from SSH I can see the following errors reported from the dmesg command

xhci_hcd 0000:00:00.0: ERROR no room on ep ring
xhci_hcd 0000:00:00.0: ERR: No room for command on command ring

hub 3-0:1.0: couldn’t allocate port 2 usb_device

Ths usb devices powers up (i.e. the light comes on) now, but the WD EX2 still does not recognise the device.

I am using the latest firmware, I am wondering whether the new firmware is introduced a problem with USB3 devices?

I think I have come up with a solution.

There appears to be a bug when booting up with a USB 3.0 device plugged in. If the system is rebooted with a USB2.0 (all USB 3.0 devices removed) device plugged in then the USB 3.0 device is plugged after the system has started then both USB drives are recognised.