WD EX2 8TB memory upgrade

Can I upgrade the memory size from 512 MB to higher, in hoping for a faster NAS? My new NAS was purchased a few days ago, any warrenty issues? If possible and allowed, which memory products? I could do it myself or take it to WD authorized center for doing?

Thanks for helping.

In addition, would like to know what farmat of the EX2 internal drivers is done for it, e.g. exFAT?

NAS6311 wrote:

Can I upgrade the memory size from 512 MB to higher, in hoping for a faster NAS? My new NAS was purchased a few days ago, any warrenty issues? If possible and allowed, which memory products? I could do it myself or take it to WD authorized center for doing?

Thanks for helping.

I have never tried this since it is not supported. Lets see if any other user has tried and can share his experience in this thread

Hoping that WD can answer/clarify the design requirement: Max memory size allowed and associated info, so that users can buy and upgrade.

No need guessing. Thanks.

As far as I know that Armada 370 SoC of the EX does not offer any additional SO-DIMM socket…

I understand that the ex2 limited design for lacking additional SO-DIMM socket, good point.

But the “cheap” commodity memory chip can be removed and replaced with not_expensive bigger memory sizes e.g. 4GB. So I hope can speed up the NAS. Does this concerpt work, with bigger memory?

Extracted info. I am not sure the memory chip is integrated part with it or a separate piece that can be removed and replaced “easily”.

The ARMADA 370 is suited for a wide range of applications, including SmartHub for Home,

networked attached storage (NAS) devices, media servers, and wireless access points, as well as networking and

education applications.

The SoCs integrate:

• High-performance, dual-issue, and out-of-order ARMv7 CPU with Floating Point Unit (FPU) operating up

to 1.2 GHz (3000 DMIPS)

• Single/double precision FPU (VFP3-16) IEEE 754 compliant

• 32KB-instruction 4-way and 32KB-data 8-way, set-associative L1 cache

• 256KB unified 4-way, set-associative L2 cache/SRAM

• 16-bit DDR3/L-1333 memory interface

• Two Ethernet networking MACs controllers

• Four SERDES lanes with versatile muxing options for SGMII, PCIe2.0, and SATA2.0

• Two x1 PCI Express 2.0 interfaces

• Two SATA Gen2.0 ports

• Two USB 2.0 host/device ports with integrated PHY

• Network security engine with various encryption algorithm support

• Two TDM channels

• SDIO/MMC, NAND flash, two SPI, two TWSI, Device Bus, I2S/SPDIF and two UART interfaces

• Two DMA/XOR engines with two independent channels per each engine

RTC and thermal sensor

• 286-pin HSBGA 19 x 19 mm, 1 mm ball pitch, green-compliant package

The innovative Coherency Fabric architecture provides a coherent interconnect between the CPU and the I/Os. The bus

efficiency also enables a high-frequency, high-bandwidth, and low-latency access time throughout the CPU memory

subsystem.

The on-chip Mbus architecture, a Marvell proprietary crossbar interconnect for non-blocking any-to-any connectivity,

enables concurrent transactions among multiple units. This design results in high system throughput, enabling system

designers to create high-performance products.

Received WD technical response as follows, and this closed the mentioned matter.

“”…I am sorry to inform you that My Cloud EX2 does not support extend memory size. The memory size is fixed…“”

Regretted that the design does not allow uprating memory by customers; a cheap and good way to improve the product is yet waiting to be implemented.

1 Like