WD Elements SE Portable 500 GB USB 3.0 HHD-Causing Problems with Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

I have read all the articles on how the USB 3.0 drive can interfere with performance on the 2.4 GHz wireless receiver for my keyboard and mouse, which I have noticed.

However, I am having problems to the extent that the keyboard permanently dies.  It will suddenly start working really bad and then shortly there after the red power light comes on and will not go away, no matter how many new batteries I put in. It’s like the unit cannot recognize it has new batteries.  Consequently the receiver cannot recognize the keyboard anymore.

Logitech had indicated that most likely some magnetic interference is ruining the keyboard.  The only things I have on my desk is my laptop (which I’ve had for 3 yrs), my iphone and the WD portable drive.  The only conclusion I can come to is that the magnet of the HDD is frying the keyboard.

How can I test what the magnetic output is of my drive?  If I plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port, will the interference go away?  Has anyone else experienced this?  It has happened with 3 boards since later July.  I had the same Logitech combo for 3 years and it worked great.  I had to get a new one because the old one died back in 3/13.  In looking back I got the WD HDD in January of 2013, which could be why the old keyboard died.  I ordered the same keyboard/mouse combo and it lasted until late July.  The next one died 7 weeks later, and the last one died 4 weeks after that.  I now have a full replacement unit, mouse and keyboard, but want to find a way to use the WD HDD and not kill the keyboard and mouse again.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.  For now I’m not connecting the new combo.

First time I read a drive causing interference like this.

Even when the platters have some minimum coating with magnetic material, it should not emit any sort of magnetic input or discharge.

Has the issue been troubleshoot with the manufacturer of the keyboard in order to determine which one of your devices is having the conflict.?