WD Elements Portable, permanent connection to TV

Hi everyone, I just replaced a couple of 2 TB WD MyPassport drives that worked as a charm for the past 7 years with a single 5 TB WD Elements Portable.

I always used those MyPassport drives with the USB ports of my television to watch movies, videos (etc.) and I’m planning to do the same with this new one.

The question is: whenever I switched my old 2014 Samsung TV off, the hard drives went off too.
Instead with my new TV (a 2021 Sony A80J) the USB ports stays powered even on standby and I was wondering if this could be bad for the hard drive.

When the TV is on standby, I noticed that the LED of the hard drive is on steady: from what I read, this means that the drive is in idle, so maybe it’s not too bad and I shouldn’t worry too much?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Hi @steferrari,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have noticed that, even if I keep it connected to the television 24/7, the hard drive goes into sleep after a certain amount of minutes without any activity, so this should definitely benefit its life.

When this happens, you can’t hear any noise or feel any movement, so I think that this is the answer to my question!