WD Elements Portable 2TB Light on and disk spinning but won't appear

I’ve plugged the hard drive into multiple macbooks and multiple PC’s with different OS’ on them however every time, the hard drive is powering on and you can hear the disk spinning, but it won’t appear in system information, disk utility or in the usual spot in finder. The University IT guys I took it to said they couldn’t do anything as the disk won’t mount and they’d take it apart and put it into their pod, but apparently it has a funny adaptor inside. The Hard Drive was bought to be the back up hard drive for the short film I’m making, so isnt immediately necessary, as long as it doesn’t happen to the main hard drive as well. Both were being kept in portable padded cases.

• Conor

This sounds like you are talking about the internal USB connection. They should know what this is.

I know it’s a real basic question… Have you tried a different cable between the drive and PC?

Not sure these IT guys did.[quote=“Great_Scottt, post:3, topic:209592”]
I know it’s a real basic question… Have you tried a different cable between the drive and PC?
[/quote]

Yeah, multiple. Nothing seems to make it actually mount.

I’d try giving support a call to see if they can’t think of anything else to try, but I suspect the drive may be damaged somehow. If this is the case, your only real option is to replace the drive. I’ve put links below on how to replace under warranty and how to contact a Data Recovery partner about getting your data back if that is your priority.