WD Elements 2TB SSD Format

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop and want to know if this drive can be formatted in half (2 new drive letters) without any negative issues.

You cant format a drive and expect data to be on it… unless it was partitioned. But in that case, you wouldnt be accomplishing your goal either. Its a full format and reinstall.Of course you can use the same windows license with the same hardware.

I was asking in respects to a new WD Elements SSD drive I am buying (2TB). I want to partition it into 2 equal halves, 2 X 1TB drive letters added to what I already have. This has nothing to do with my present Windows OS.

1 Like

I can’t see any harm in partitioning into 2 equal halves (which will be 931GB per partition)

SSD Drives while technically different … they still retain the basic functions and usability features of normal HDD’s … eg. you can format them whatever file system you like, and partition them however you like.

Thank you so very much for this info. I wasn’t sure since it is an SSD drive which I’m not totally familiar with. Not enough data out to say they are the best drives ever.

In my opinion … they are the BEST as Boot / Operating system drives and offer a HUGE performance difference to HDD’s.

I have SSD’s as OS Drives in everything i have. PC’s / Laptops / Media Players / Games Consoles etc. They make a BIG difference.

For intensive video and photo processing they also offer an advantage over normal HDD’s with much faster Read/Writes.

But, If you’re using SSD’s as just additional storage for files and backups for archival purposes … then a HDD will do the same job and will be cheaper per Gigabyte.