WD Elements 2TB and Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

I am looking for a definitive answer about these disks (WDBU6Y0020BBK-05) and compatibility with the server backup.

There is a lot of confusing and conflicting information on the web, inclusing on the WD site, although consensus seems to be that the backup should work with disks up to 2TB (something to do with the allocation size).

I have 2 of these WD Elements 2TB and neither of them will work out of the box with the backup on this server. It allows me to add the two volumes to the server backup and the backup starts but then it fails about 50% in.

I have managed to get a backup to run by first deleting the partition and then formatting a 1TB partition on it and leaving the unallocated space unformatted. This is just a workaround so I can get a good backup.

Actually, it looks like one of the disks is faulty as it is filling the event log with disk erros: bad block. That one is going back!

Any advice or a final answer to this problem would be much appreciated.

Hi keithm, welcome to the WD Community. Windows server is not a supported OS but other community users can share their advice. Also remember to share the name of the backup software you’re using.