WD Elements 1TB does not load anymore

Hello guys,

I’ve had a problem with my WD Elements external HDD for a pretty long time now. It just doesn’t load anymore. It’s connected to the PC, the light is flashing, it even shows up in my harddrives list, though its not listed with its name, its just called local drive d. It doesn’t show me, how much space is used either.

When you double click on it, all that happens is the loading animation which does finish to about 98% and then just doesn’t continue. Also, when the drive is attached, it slows down everything I do on the computer.

The problem started when I was updating my OS from win 8.1 to win 10 about half a year ago. I detached the HDD before I updated to Win 10, hoping to prevent problems . Ironic.

I’ve alredy tried a data recovery tool called EaseUS but it can’t scan for the broken drive. It just keeps loading forever. It won’t show me my drives unless i detach the WD Elements, then my regular HDD shows up.

Anybody got an idea what I could do? Or is it really my worst fear that it’s completely broken?
Any help is appreciated!

Hi Havokk,

You can test the health of WD Elements hard drive using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. If drive fails, contact WD’s Support to get replacement under warranty period. You can have a look on below article for more details about this.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940&lang=en

Hi Brandon, I know I’m way too late with this but I completely forgot about this post in the first place.
Today, I remebered I posted here, tried your tool and after 6 hours of scanning - boom! Works again!

Thank you very much for your help, even though it’s a little late!