WD Element 1024 needs manual drive letter every time

All of a suddenly after a PC restart my WD Element 1024 stopped working searched the net for help and found TestDisk but still no luck,It just doesn’t show up on My Computer had turned into a RAW disk but Later I tried CHKDSK /r and still no luck,it changed back to NTFS but doesn’t show up on MY Computer went to Manager and found out that I could Assign a Disk letter to it now did a backup,then formatted the portable WD,but still the problem of Manually assigning a drive letter is killing me. My warranty just got over a week back.I did a Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and it says SMART test failed.Please help me.

Sonunds strange this post http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Copy-files-from-one-drive-to-another/m-p/277504/highlight/false#M7587 is for fixing a disk collision problem in Windows. Maybe using that method to rename drive will solve the problem.

Joe

I got the problem solved,I backed up all my data.Then used TestDisk to delete the partition i had.Then I did a full format with WD USB Formatter.Now its working fine. :smiley:

Thankyou for the help though (: