WD Easy Store cycling off & on

My WD Easy Store Desktop is cycling off & on by itself every 5 minutes or so. Not sure if it’s the power connection or the usb connection. When it cycles back on, a new window opens for the drive–like the computer is reading it. It did this initially when I got it 10 months ago, then stopped. Now, it’s doing it again. I normally leave this on whenever I’m using the desktop computer and turn it off when the computer is turned off. What can I do about this?

Hello VLane15,

I would suggest turning OFF the Power Management Settings from Windows desktop, then check for the same issue.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3875&s=

If the issue still persists, you may try using another power adapter with the Easystore in this concern

maybe bad usb data cable??

I couldn’t find a place to turn OFF power mgmt in Win 10. I did leave it at the “balanced” setting.
I did uncheck & turn off power mgmt for 3 USB root hubs in Device Manager/Properties/Power Mgmt.
I installed current versions of WD Utilities & WD Backup.

I changed WD Backup Drive Helper to “automatic” in run:services.msc
Set sleep timer on WD Utilities app to 45 min.
Plugged into different USB 3.0 port on computer.

I ended up unplugging the WD with the intention of just plugging it back in once in a while to make backups. Tonight, I tried plugging in and turning on and the HD would not stay on at all. Kept recycling on and off continuously.

Any more thoughts?