WD DUO My Book 12TB // Keeps powering down

Hello

I have a WD Duo My Book 12TB Thunder Bolt drive.

I bought it in Oct 2016.

The drive was about 99% full and began loosing the folder structure, the most recent files added to the drive didn’t show up. The data was there, just the folders were missing. Strange.

I have removed about 4Tb of data to free up some room on the drive. However it still looses the folder structure of the drive and I have to manually type the folder structure in and the files reappear.

The drive also keeps powering down and disconnecting. Pretty much every 10-15 mins. It’s totally unusable.

I do have a complete clone of the drive, that is around 90% full, but it also looses if folder structure.

I have downloaded Norton AntiVirus and scanned the drives and fixed any issues it found, now running clean and ‘fixed’ the drive keep shutting down.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Jon

Spoken to Tech Support, they think it’s a power issue and are sending a replacement.

However, since removing 4Tb of data the drive continues to shut down every 10 mins and remains off for 15 mins and then powers back up. Very strange.

When I receive my replacement I will try adding my HDD drives into the new My Book Duo housing to see how it behaves.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Jon

1 Like