WD Drive Utilities app crashing on launch (macOS)?

Today, the WD Drive Utilities app on macOS started crashing on launch. This is very strange, since it was working fine as of yesterday.

I have three possible versions to start from: v2.0.4.9 (preinstalled on WD My Passport 2TB), v2.1.0.104 (preinstalled on WD My Passport SSD 1TB), and v2.1.0.166 (latest version from Western Digital support site). I’ve tried installing each version, and I’m experiencing the same crash-on-launch behavior with all three.

Also, I’m using macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) and haven’t yet installed macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), so I know that it’s not due to an OS update.

I’ve uploaded a copy of the crash log to Pastebin; please check that. (The crash log is for v2.1.0.166 - let me know if it’d be helpful to share crash logs from the other versions as well.)

Does anyone have any idea what’s causing this and any possible solutions? Please let me know! Thanks.

EDIT: I’ve now noticed that the app (specifically v2.1.0.166) works fine when no external drives are connected (all of my externals are WD drives, in case that makes a difference). If a drive is plugged in before or after the app is launched, the app crashes. I know that this is definitely a factor, but I have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Hi 1dareu2mov3,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support if you are having trouble with the form.

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever get a resolution?