WD Discovery

Does anybody here know when WD will build or recompile its existing WD Discovery app for ARM- based Windows machines? I have a brand new Microsoft Surface Pro X (64-bit). WD Discovery is the only app that I use regularly that cannot install on this machine, because the current version available for download isn’t compatible with ARM-based machines.

I am logging into my MyCloud Home devices using the WD MyCloud Home website.
That’s my current workaround to manage files on those devices. It’s a workable solution; just a tad bit slower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Robert
rcolonna15@verizon.net

2 Likes

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: WD Discovery Failure to Install on Windows

The instructions at this link do not solve the issue. Please confirm when Western Digital will update the application to work on Windows 10 for ARM processors. I also have a Surface Pro X and this app will not install.

1 Like

same problem. need WD Discovery for Microsoft Surface with ARM processor . any new?

Hi.

Happy holidays. Waited a whole year. Contacted WD Support again. They told me their product is not compatible with machines running on ARM-based processors, and there are no plans at this time to re-compile WD Discovery to make it run on ARM-based processors. That’s ridiculous. ARM-based processors have been around for awhile now, so there definitely is a market for it. Not that I’m a software expert, but I also don’t think a re-compile is all that difficult to do.

But wait. It gets worse. Windows 10 just released a Preview Build (21277). One of the most important features of this new build is x64 emulation. Meaning, once the Build is installed, Windows 10 machines with ARM-based processors should be able to successfully install and run x64 apps that run on Intel processors.

But when I installed the new Preview Build and tried to install WD Discovery again, guess what? It didn’t work again. Not surprised.

I give up. I guess I will just use the WD Home web-based app to access Plex directories on the device. Not sure what else to do.

A watched pot never boils.

I will still support and use WD products going forward, but WD is a major disappointment with this issue. Major fail on their part. It’s frustrating and disappointing. It’s literally the only app I use that cannot run on my ARM-based machine.

WD’s refusal to address this is also both frustrating and disappointing.
So much for customer service.

Have a happy new year.

Cheers.