WD Discovery

Does anybody here know when WD will build or recompile its existing WD Discovery app for ARM- based Windows machines? I have a brand new Microsoft Surface Pro X (64-bit). WD Discovery is the only app that I use regularly that cannot install on this machine, because the current version available for download isn’t compatible with ARM-based machines.

I am logging into my MyCloud Home devices using the WD MyCloud Home website.
That’s my current workaround to manage files on those devices. It’s a workable solution; just a tad bit slower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Robert
rcolonna15@verizon.net

2 Likes

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11206

The instructions at this link do not solve the issue. Please confirm when Western Digital will update the application to work on Windows 10 for ARM processors. I also have a Surface Pro X and this app will not install.

1 Like

same problem. need WD Discovery for Microsoft Surface with ARM processor . any new?

Hi.

Happy holidays. Waited a whole year. Contacted WD Support again. They told me their product is not compatible with machines running on ARM-based processors, and there are no plans at this time to re-compile WD Discovery to make it run on ARM-based processors. That’s ridiculous. ARM-based processors have been around for awhile now, so there definitely is a market for it. Not that I’m a software expert, but I also don’t think a re-compile is all that difficult to do.

But wait. It gets worse. Windows 10 just released a Preview Build (21277). One of the most important features of this new build is x64 emulation. Meaning, once the Build is installed, Windows 10 machines with ARM-based processors should be able to successfully install and run x64 apps that run on Intel processors.

But when I installed the new Preview Build and tried to install WD Discovery again, guess what? It didn’t work again. Not surprised.

I give up. I guess I will just use the WD Home web-based app to access Plex directories on the device. Not sure what else to do.

A watched pot never boils.

I will still support and use WD products going forward, but WD is a major disappointment with this issue. Major fail on their part. It’s frustrating and disappointing. It’s literally the only app I use that cannot run on my ARM-based machine.

WD’s refusal to address this is also both frustrating and disappointing.
So much for customer service.

Have a happy new year.

Cheers.