WD Discovery Limited Function with WD TV Live Media Player?

So, I downloaded the WD Discovery program with stars in my eyes and dreams of being able to do cool things with it. However I can not do anything but put a shortcut on my desk top with it. Is this typical or can you do other things with it in relation to the WD TV Live Media Player.

mercwrought wrote:

So, I downloaded the WD Discovery program with stars in my eyes and dreams of being able to do cool things with it. However I can not do anything but put a shortcut on my desk top with it. Is this typical or can you do other things with it in relation to the WD TV Live Media Player.

It does what it says on the tin, discovers the WDTV.

Well rich, I have to say that that is interesting. I understand that, however there are other feature that the WD Discovery program states that do not seem to work with the WD TV Live Media Player. Have you used it, and if so have you had a different experience than myself.

WD Discovery provides the following features:

• Device Discovery – WD Discovery automatically discovers WD network-attached devices in your local network. You do not have to manually provide discovery criteria. The discovery process runs silently in the background and lists available devices in an easy-to-use graphical user interface. When you launch WD Discovery, you find a list of devices ready for management on the left side of the home page.

• System Configuration This feature launches Internet Explorer and opens a graphical user interface you can use to configure a WD network-attached device.

• Network Drive Mapping – WD Discovery provides you with two mapping solutions to connect share folders as network drives: Auto Mapping and Manual Mapping.

• Network Shares Browsing --The Network Shares Browsing feature makes it possible to use WD Discovery to connect to a share folder on a WD network-attached device in your local network and browse its contents.

• Desktop Shortcut Creation – This feature enables you to create a desktop shortcut for quick and easy access to a WD network-attached device.

• Turning Identify LED On or Off – WD Discovery allows you to turn a blue Identify LED on a network-attached WD ShareSpace on or off. The Identify LED lets you know which WD network-attached device is currently being accessed via WD Discovery.

• Auto - Update Checking – WD Discovery automatically checks for a newer version and enables you to update the application if it finds one.

Rich,

Thank you for bumping my post. Hey, those look like the features that I am talking about. I guess I should thank you for completing my post so that everyone knows what I am talking about. Of the Features that are listed when I use the software all I see is map network drive, Browse network share, and create desktop short cut. I was hopping for at least the system configuration. The only one that actually works is create desktop shortcut.

Has anyone else used the program a different experience with it.

So the only two things you can’t do is:

System Configuration and Turning identfy LED on or Off.

I believe that both of these apply only to a WD NAS and not the WDTV. This is a basic program which is used for a lot of different WD devices.

I have it installed but generally I don’t much faith in it.

Negative the only thing I can do is

“The only one that actually works is create desktop shortcut.”

What I said was

“all I see is map network drive, Browse network share and …”